Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Breath of fresh air

There is something so amazing waking up to the smell of pine and seeing the bright sunlight come through your window with a cold chill in the air, while tightly snuggled under the blankets and knowing the small sound of pitter patter on the roof is probably a squirrel.

What a great way to wake up. The girls are in the same room with me; we rented a house that is three bedrooms (to accommodate them), but the only the mattresses are being used from that bedroom. Nice, huh?

I was criticized a bit for 'letting' them be in the room with me, but I like it. I am realizing quickly that my kids are growing fast and soon will likely want no part of me, so I will eat up this time as much as possible.

We have had a great week so far. Yesterday we went into Yosemite. We stopped at Mariposa Grove as soon as we got in. Though I have been there before, we did little more than drive through to check it out. But yesterday, we decided to try a hike.

Before we left, we bought trekking poles. I wasn't sure how well they would go over, but let me say, they were the champion of the day.

We did the first few legs of the trail. We saw The three Graces ( can't remember the name). And then we went a little further to Grizzly Point. These are all tall Redwoods. Just beautiful.

Mom, being very stagnant in her life, struggled but trekked her way up the hill to these points. I saw her pushing herself and I was very proud. I am sure she wanted to turn around many times. I stayed with her, while Julie went ahead a bit with the girls.

It was interesting being with mom up the hill, because I could hear her inner dialogue without her uttering a word.

It is very uncomfortable to come from an inactive lifestyle, to one of activity and strenuous movement. After all, my old motto was, "no pain, NO PAIN!

I talked her through all the way up. She did great. And when we found a good stopping point for her, we let her sit while we trekked to the top.

Now, my girls didn't want to carry their poles with them to the top, so they left them with nanna. And guess who was barking for their poles near the top? Hahahaha.... Ding dongs.

The hike up was pretty steep. There were points we weren't sure we were still on the trail. But we got to the top and saw the beauty of the meadow and the museum. It was great. At least a mile straight up hill.

On the way back down, those poles really came in handy. They help take the pressure off the knees by dispersing the weight of your body. It is almost like having four legs.

It took us one third of the time to get down the hill.

Nanna was given an iPad with scrabble, so she didn't miss us a lick. She is also a skilled people watcher (I get it from her), so she had some funny stories to share when we got back. That place was definitely busy.

After our journey, we drove into Yosemite and decided to go to Glacier point. As we drove up we saw they were doing controlled burns. I should have turned around right there, but didn't. As we got to the top, the smoke was thicker and my sneaking suspicion was correct. Half dome was all smoked out.

Can you imagine spending your annual savings to come see a rock that is being purposely smokeD out? I felt so bad for all the visitors. As we got some amazing shots last year, I was merely disappointed. But if I had saved all year to see the glory of half dome.....I would have asked for a whole vacation refund. Ughhhhhh.

We left Glacier point and jumped down into the village for a short stop, then played in a meadow for a few minutes before heading back to the house in Bass Lake.

We ate dinner on the patio, enjoying the night air, and then hunkered down for yet another movie night. As we were all tired from the hike, it was an early night.

Not sure what I have in store for today. As I write, the girls are making a log cabin with Julie. I am thinking today is a 'chill' day.

I love our annual trips. I am so blessed to spend this time with my mom, the girls and my BFF. It is a time to replenish my soul.

Happy whateverdayitis......

No comments:

Post a Comment