Thursday, August 25, 2011

Kids Rule the World

Yesterday I got a last minute request for my girls to watch one of the little ones at the dance studio. Circumstances changed at the last minute, and as luck would have it, I could make the girls available.

I had to call my mom to drop the girls at the dance studio. Without hesitation, she dropped them off for me. I didn't have time, because I had to be at work. I swear, it takes a village......!

The girls were thrilled to get the offer, and I was glad to be asked. This means that my girls are trustworthy in the eyes of another to care for a child. My heart is happy!

I was reading a few posts about different kid situations. In one instance, a child was making cut throat signs to a teacher. While in another post, I read about a child asking why adults don't laugh like kids do.

We all have a story. And every story will be different.

I find it interesting that the posts that struck me all had to do with varying degrees of childhood.

Innocence....naiveté.... hope.....wonder.... It's all there in the face of a child.

We have the ability to form the brains of these little children with the choices we make. But they are all watching, no matter what we try to teach.

Children learn by example. Good or bad. They learn by what they see.

I heard a saying once that resonated with me then as it resonates now; "Your actions are speaking so loudly, I can't hear what you are saying!"

My parents counseled me many a time while growing up. But when they lived in the opposite of what they were trying to teach me, my brain screamed 'HYPOCRITE' and went into defiance mode.

"Do as I say....NOT as I DO!"

It doesn't compute. Don't even bother!

You must serve as an example to that which you wish to teach. At least to a child!
Adults can be B.S.'d a bit. But kids know better! And they speak the truth. And....we should listen.

I remember many moments with my parents, when they tried to counsel me their 'desired' truth. Their hope for me. Their fear for me.

But it didn't work.

As one child sends his cut throat signals to his teacher....he has learned it somewhere. That it would evoke a fear, a response. It was made with absolute intention.

From the child who asked, "Why don't adults laugh?".....he has observed the truth in how adults react to many situations. He is concerned. Curious.

And for the baby who is babysat by two young girls.....the world is his oyster. It all still revolves around him. So, he is happy.....carefree.

But all live in their honest truth. The only truth they know. Totally different from one another....yet the same in its purity.

There is a lesson with each child. First; to be aware of the environment, second is to be aware of yourself, the other, is to let go.....

Do we teach them? Or do the teach us????

Kids could rule the world......if we could get enough people to listen!
Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment