Monday, August 15, 2011

Off Kilter

Waking up early and not getting enough sleep does not work for me. I spent the whole day in jet lag form, doing everything in a fog. By 7pm, I was fading fast, which isn't great because I had people over for dinner. Thankfully, they were tired too, so it was an early night. I was in bed by 9:30.

Though I am excited about the schedule of school coming up, I know that my life is going to take off again and bury me like last year. I nearly shudder at the thought of it. It was a year completely handed over to my kids and it left me in the dust. I felt completely disconnected from friends, family and even my kids.

I can't handle another school year like that, so I will be making sure that I choose things more carefully and use the resources available to me.

Grandma has offered her services, and I will be taking advantage of that. But more importantly, I need to consider how we were all affected. It got to a point that when my kids needed to add in one more thing, it would send me over the top.  It was such a stressful year, I definitely cannot go there again.

I am constantly reminded that there is a balance to life.   You want to make sure your kids have what they need to grow, but it should not be at the expense of you (me).  The more I deplete myself while doing their biddings, the less I have to "want" to offer and the less happy I am offering it. 

This summer I have spent more time having the girls care for "their domain".   A few interesting things have happened.  First, the longer they do it and the more often they do it, the less complaining they get.  And two, the longer I do it, the easier it is to ask and the happier I am that it's off "MY" list!

We have all been working together to make life easier.  I am finally at the point that "everyone works" is a good motto for the house.  Why should the kids get the benefit of me driving them like a taxi, when they can't even clean their own room and find their stuff.  That is an off balance model.

The better balance has been working out over the summer.  While we were in Bass Lake, we cooked and they cleared the table.   It was great!

I do believe I also see a bit more confidence in them and their ability to take care of their domain.  And while they don't like it, it's a fact of life.   If I don't teach them now, how will they cope later on?

A lot of stuff is happening this week.  We find out about dance teams and their schedules will be put together.  Carpool is already set for the school year.  The engine is one and it's about ready to go.

However, this year, my goal is to make it a smoother and more balanced ride!!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment