Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The art of communication

I was talking to a friend about writing. For the first time, I felt like I was with someone who got it.

My oral processing skills are not at their peak. So, I hesitate to respond in an argument. i explained to her that after an argument with my husband, I am much better to articulate by writing than I am talking! She totally knew what I meant! I felt validated!

For YEARS, I would argue or discuss things with my husband, and he would get so frustrated, because I could not put into words what i felt. My processors are much slower than his. I investigate every angle, while his method is much quicker (as is his brain) and he can "shoot first - ask questions later). So NOT FAIR!!!!!

For years, I thought something was wrong with me.

And then, I realized that we ALL process informatiion differently. WHY? Because we are ALL different and unique!!!!

When I spoke to my friend about writing, she spoke my language. It was so great to know someone like myself, who is a writer.

My words come so easily in front of a keyboard. But in front of a person, I am faced with a totally different dynamic. Now, I have to consider negotiations, and debates and different points of view........ where when I am writing, I only have to compete with my own brain. Which easily secedes in the presence of the keyboard.

I did an exercise once. (Well... more than once). I sat with paper, and I wrote. And I wrote. AND I WROTE!!!! I didn't stop myself. I didn't filer myself. I just WROTE!!!! And the things that came out of me were shocking and emotional and DEEP!!!! And, I continued to write.

It was cathartic!

When we filter, we hold ourselves back. We don't let ourselves feel! (and I mean FEEL!)

What are we hiding from?

If it is just you.....what do you have to hide from yourself?

I dare you to try.

20 minutes straight. No stopping. Write what comes to mind and DO NOT STOP!!!! Write with reckless abandon. Let your feelings, emotions, fears, joys come to the surface. Don't hold back ANYTHING!!! Burn if afterwards if you have to. But don't stop for 20 minutes.

It will be hard at first. Make sure you have NO distractions.

Let me know what you come up with!

Send me an email. photobycat@gmail.com

Happy Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment