Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ahhhh....vacation

I have been watching my girls these last few days. It has been quite a while since I have had a captive audience in them for any longer than a day here or there.

The other day I looked at Avery and I swear she grew. I put her back to back with Aspen (no contest there, I know), and I dare say the gap got bigger between them.

It has been such a great trip getting to hang with them. They get all of our attention and we get to have conversations that we are otherwise too busy to hear.

I can tell they are getting to an age where they are making their own decisions and becoming independent. I am also getting to enjoy their individuality.

I am reminded that my kids are only two. Growing up I had four siblings so it was easy to find someone to play with. Aspen and Avery only have each other, so it makes me happy to see how well they play and laugh together. I really want them to be friends as they get older.

Yesterday we went down to the local beach area and the girls played in the water. It ws so funny to watch them come up with things to amuse themselves. But the best part is, they keep laughing together.

It is so nice getting away from the day to day grind. I love these trips because we are stripped back to basics, with no concrete plans. We fly by the seat of our pants and makeup our trip as we go. It is absolutely no stress. Not that I mind 'planned' vacations, but there is something nice about absorbing yourself in your surroundings. We are in a house with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. We have a huge patio (the main selling point to us) and a washer/dryer. We are living here for the week. And right now, it feels like our home.

This morning, we watched a squirrel jump into the apple tree, grab an apple, jump over to a pine tree, eat it, and dump the core on on the ground at our feet, as if to say, 'here ya go!' (this was, of course, after the first squirrel came down and scared the begeebers out of me and sent me running and screaming into the house).

Today we are renting a boat to go out on the lake. We will also rent a tube to tow behind it. The girls love this. We'll eat dinner on the lake and enjoy our very relaxing day. It is the last full day we are here. Tomorrow we head back to reality and back to the grind. Hopefully, I can make this relaxed feeling stretch out and last another year.

There really is nothing like having an unplanned vacation to bleed relaxation back into your life.

Happywhateverdayitis.......

No comments:

Post a Comment