Sunday, August 7, 2011

Horizons

Last week was dance camp for the girls. They were the from Monday through Friday 9-4. They learned different disciplines, and at the end of the week, they are evaluated to see what dance teams they will be accepted into.

Parents are invited at the end of the week to see the performances of what the kids learned. Unfortunately, I was not able to be there as I had a work meeting. I did, however pop in earlier in the day to drop off a picture, and it happened to be at the time Aspen was doing her lyrical performance.

I had never seen her do lyrical. I believe this was her first time ever doing it. When I walked in the room, they were half way through the routine. I stopped and watched her dance.

Lyrical is a whimsical sort of dance. (all my opinion. I don't know technical terms.). It follows the rhythm of the music and it is (again my opinion) romantic.

As I watched Aspen do this for the first time, I was stopped in my tracks. She was beautiful.

As a mom, you get to watch your child grow. But there are moments that you actually witness it happening, and this was one of those moments.

As she was performing in front of "judges", her movements were careful and graceful. Her expression matched the mood of the song. This meant a lot to her and I could see that in her face.

I actually got choked up.

The funny thing about all this, is both of my kids were certain what team they wanted to be on. However, after this week, they both changed their minds. Their horizons were broadened and their minds were open to new ideas.

I think we become creatures of comfort too quickly.

I was talking to a friend of mind recently, who just moved to Arizona. I asked her how she was faring. Like me, she's been in California most of her life.

She said she loves it there. She never imagined she would leave OC but she absolutely loves it there.

It is a reminder to me to not get stuck in our ways. There is more than one way to live. We just get hooked into what we have.

Now that the girls dance is done, we wait for the results. Aspen has asked me a number of times already to check my email and see if we have message that will determine her upcoming year. She is so excited she can't stand it.

I am so proud of her for opening her mind and looking at other possibilities. Both girls have had an amazing week and will be happy no matter how they are chosen.

As they grow, I see their world is limitless. They can have anything they want. ANYTHING. The world is their oyster. But as I sit here, I realize, that wishing doesn't have an age. We, too, can have anything we want. IF we allow ourselves the possibility to dream and work towards it.

Happy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment