Sunday, July 31, 2011

Good decisions

Yesterday was a good day.  I put myself on the path to making better decisions.

You know, denial is a funny thing.  You can be totally aware of something, yet in complete denial of it!  We all do it.  But for what reason?  What would happen if we actually acknowledged what we were denying ourselves?

It could be little, like not writing down a food you are supposed to be tracking.  Or, something bigger, like your life is falling off track and you need to get a hold of yourself.

For me, it was probably both.  I didn't want to face it, because then I would have to actually do something about it.  And I didn't want to!  Period!  End of statement!

But as I am accountable to others, the denial isn't as easy a place to be.  To deny, would make me a flat out liar to those around me, and I don't lie well...at all!

So at my meeting yesterday I realized one of my weaknesses has been getting back on track with exercising.  I need something new and fun, that could potentially involve the whole family.  I asked if there were any hiking trails in the area.  I hundred people spoke up (which was interesting, because there were only about 30 in the room).  I heard all sorts of places just a spit away that I could take my kids.  Only problem is, I didn't write them all down.  So I chose one or two to commit to memory, and my goal for the day was to go there, even if only to drive by and be aware of its location visually!

I decided to sweeten the pot.  I had a member who was giddy with her trekking poles.  We had seen these last year in yosemite and I was intrigued then, but now I had a reason to look into them, because we are soon leaving to Bass Lake. 

I grabbed my mom and family and off to REI we went!  We all got a pair for our trip. 

I had to try them out to make them work, so I grabbed the kids and hubby and we checked out Riley Wilderness park.  (I think that is what it's called).  We pulled out our poles and started walking.  We only went about 1.5 miles, but it was a bit more intense than just walking.  It definitely takes getting in the groove, but it was a fun new way to spice up my walking!

My eating was definitely on track all day.  I felt myself getting back into my good patterns, which I really needed to be conscious of.  Not that eating was the main problem, but every little bit contributes!

It's amazing how one good decision influences the next. 

Though it is a bit rainy today, I have to get some exercise in, even if it's only benchpressing my kids at home.  We have a gathering this afternoon, so cleaning my house will certainly add activity points.  I could easily vaccuum with Aspen on my back.  She loves that!

I'm not in denial anymore.  I'm thankful for the accountability.  It was very awkward walking in as a member yesterday, but as I knew I would be, I was welcomed with open arms.  Just as I have welcomed others back as well.  We aren't perfect, and life does get in the way.  I'm thankful I have surrounded myself with the right people!

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment