Thursday, July 7, 2011

The place remembers when.....

There are moments in life that stop you. They aren't 'Aha' moments....just moments. Some are good and some are bad. But they happen.

Last night we went to dinner with the whole family (well, minus lil bro who lives up north), and we decided we would celebrate at a restaurant we have been going to since we were kids.

I remember after I graduated, that is where we went. It has been in our lives for as long as I can remember.

Though we have visited this restaurant many times, last night was different. It was 'old times'. We were five kids and two adults when we would visit this restaurant growing up. But last night we were 9 adults and 14 kids. Mom had most of her kids and grandkids there. We took up 1/3 of the place.

As we nestled in and took our spots - that "moment" thing started happening.

When you do something all your life, and it is the same thing, it becomes a part of your DNA. In regards to this restaurant, walking through the doors is a natural thing; like coming home. The smell of the place, the utensils they use, it is all very familiar to each of us the second we walk in.

And because it is so familiar....so are the memories. It is almost like you know exactly what is going to happen. And not just the food - but the family dynamics.

Have you ever been somewhere before and and said, "I remember last time I was here", and not only did you visually imagine yourself the, but you literally felt what you went through?

That is that moment I am talking about.

As we settled in, I started looking at my mom, and I knew exactly what she was feeling. She and my dad created this experience for us. This restaurant was more than just a building, it is part of who we are. They created this part of our history, and now we are all here together again....and it is different. Dad is not here with us. And it is this moment, that we feel it.

Similarly, I noticed it with my brother. Something had changed for him too. His life has changed since we were all there together, and he is feeling it. I ca hear it in the comments he is making. (getting family together for us is quite the challenge, so this night was a very big deal!)

Most of the night went well. I sat back and watched everyone and reflected that this is being carried down to our own children. As it is, every year we go to the renaissance faire, Avery asks to make sure we are going there on our way home. It is already part of our own family tradition.

Things got a little dodgy at the end. For some reason, the pain became too much, and then comments started passing, and before we knew it, the night ended abruptly. My nephew came over to me afterwards and said, "We (he and my other nephew)were wondering when the Mesaros conflict would happen." I think he mentioned he was taking bets, but I don't know.

The truth is, we are emotional people. We were raised by someone who is an emotional person and never faked a day of who he was or how he felt. For that I love him. To be genuine is a gift. We don't hide who we are or how we feel (sometimes to our detriment of course.)

So, to hear this from my nephew doesn't surprise me. I almost wanted to give him a dollar for winning his bet, but how can it be a bet when it's a sure thing?

Though we had a mostly good time, those few moments hit deep. They always do. Trisha yearwood sang a song once called, "The Song Remembers When". Well, in our case, this restaurant does.

Family - ya gotta love it!

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment