Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Big Decisions

I opened an email this morning from a  friend who is going to make some big changes in her life.  It kind of floored me, because the changes she is making are big.  However, I was not totally surprised by this woman's decisions.

She is quitting her job to be with her kids, and she is going to work on implementing a religious program for middle school kids, to give them guidance.  I loved reading this.  I actually got chills from her message.  She feels very powerfully pulled to God, and is going to work through Him to create this program for these kids.  She will be very successful, I have no doubt!

It is so funny when you read a message.  It can be taken in so many ways. 
Change is a very scary thing.  Outwardly committing to change is risky.  It puts you "out there" and opens you up to criticism.  And people do criticise!!

I sat their and thought about her message.  If I had read it years ago, I would have been filled with more judgement.  But over the years, I have opened my mind and heart a lot more to new ideas.  (Writing a blog, for instance and putting your whole life "out there" - good bad and ugly)

My first instinct was "Oh....wow....crazy!!"   But as I read her very articulate and descriptive letter, I started seeing things through her eyes.  She is going with her heart and soul on this.  It occurred to me what a gift she has in recognizing what her heart and soul are telling her.  How strong one must be in their conviction to make a change that will affect your whole family.

I am inspired by this woman.   I responded to her in kind.  That I too have been considering some very similar changes that will affect my family.  Hopefully in a good way.  There were many things she said that resonated with me and I let her know I would be happy to participate if possible.  Especially in regards to the middle schoolers.  What a horrible time of life.  

Sometimes strange things happen.  You state an interest in something and all of a sudden, you are surrounded by the possibilities of this something.  It happens all the time. (Ever tried to have a baby and all of a sudden you are surrounded by pregnant people????)

In this instance, I have been considering a change, and here this woman writes about her decision to make this humongous change - with faith, and I can't help but sit and look at my own situation.  Any change we make is a leap of faith.  But if you are strong enough in your convictions, you should take a serious look at the possibilities.  If you are seriously drawn to something, you can make it happen. 

Sometimes the decision takes a while to commit to.  A big change may take longer to dwell on.  But if you are truly pulled to something  (and you don't let yourself ignore it), then eventually, if you put your mind to it, all the pieces will fall into place for you!  (Mind you, the pieces don't necessarily mean it will be easy....just enough to point you in the right direction).

There is one trick to this whole thing....be careful what you wish for - because you may get it.  Wish carefully, and listen respectfully....  I once heard a man prayed to God to open his heart and he ended up with open heart surgery.   Just sayin'........

So, after reading her message this morning, I feel a little stronger in my own conviction to make those changes in my life.  (Of course they are changes that will benefit my family...)  I feel her message was sent to me for a reason.  God works in mysterious ways you know. 

Is there something you have been drawn to, that you are denying for yourself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment