Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summer Lovin'

I am getting that summer lovin' feelin'!

Yesterday I got my first dose of summer play.  Granted, it was driving my kids around so they could play, but isn't that what summer's about?  Forget the days where I could cut and run and go to a movie, or the beach.  Now, it comes with little 8 and 10 year old strings.  But that's okay.

The girls had some friends over and we decided to go to Jumpin' Jammin.  I sat there for at least 2 hours while they ran around. I kept waiting for them to come back to me and say, "okay, let's go", but I couldn't find them anywhere.  I even took a nap on one of the couches while kids screamed and ran all around me.  Now that is a mothers gift!  Being able to shut the noise out for a snooze.  I guarantee you men don't have that.

My husband makes fun of me, because when at home, I need complete silence.  He jokes with me that I could hear an ants footsteps on the window when I'm trying to sleep.

But when at Jumpin' Jammin, I can tune it all out.  I think that has to do with filters.  We mothers know "which" sounds to worry about.  At night, when I'm at home, it's a different ball game.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe I should by an annual pass to Jumpin Jammin to make sure I'm well rested! 

After we left there, we stopped at Yogurtland.  The girls offered to pay with their own money (at my suggestion) for themselves and their friends.  It was very cute watching them sit at the table chatting amongst themselves.  Like little teenagers!

Later we went to the lake.  This was definitely my idea.  I get to sit again.  (there's a method to my madness).  It was so nice to have a book, and just watch the water and relax.   This, to me is summer!

I tried to figure out what to feed the little monsters as they were all spending the night and I had 4 mouths to feed.  I decided to rely on old faithful....pizza! 

I really hate the old cliche food, but as time ran short, it was the best option.  I threw in some cut up apples to even it out.

When we got home, we sat around the table and chatted.  THIS...is my favorite part.  I would ask questions, and let them go off in their millions of directions with their answers.  As they are comfortable chatting together, they almost forget that I am there!  So, I get to hear the good stuff!

Earlier in the day, my daughter lied to me about something stupid.  I was very disappointed in her (and her friend), and I brought that up at dinner.  I asked about friends who are liars, and do you trust them, and how would you feel if....etc....   Hearing it from me is one thing.   Hearing it all at the table, surrounded by your peers is another.  I am thankful for the dinner table.

Finally, after dinner it was time for the bedtime routine.  We pulled out the cots, made the beds, brushed the teeth, and down they went!

My heart was happy.  I got to (finally) spend a day in their lives.

I have big plans this summer.  And I guess I better get on them, because summer's more than half over!
I want to hike and go to Disneyland and just play!  I miss seeing my kids on this level.  If work didn't get in the way, I would be playing with them all the time!  (okay, not all the time, but you get what I mean).

As we were at the lake yesterday, some teen girls were screaming at some boys.  It was funny at first, but as the hour went on, it wore on my nerves.  Aspen came over and said, "What are they doing?"  I said, being girls.  Take a good look.  That will be you in a few years.  But please be less annoying when you get there!"  She told me to shusshhh....   She doesn't like talking about who she is gonna be and how she is gonna change.  I love that about her.  She's taking one day at a time.  And enjoying every minute of it.  This is my last summer with her as an elementary girl.  So I will take advantage of every last day that I can!!!

Happy Summer Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment