Thursday, July 21, 2011

Middle school insights.....

The last few days Aspen and I have gotten some insight into middle school.

They say when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

In this case, we have had a few teachers offer some information, or even insight to Aspen's upcoming middle school experience. I am not sure what she is getting from all the talk, but I do see she is listening. What I am getting in all of this is the same two pieces of advice and information across the board, and I am going to quote it as it has been said to me.

First - "girls are caddy bitches". And second, "talk to your kids". And by that, just keep talking....

My neighbor was over getting pictures for her son, and we started talking. She told Aspen all about her kids experiences in middle school and what she should expect and even to make sure she chooses her spot at the lunch table, and how to coordinate things with her friends during the first weeks of school.

She told aspen how the kids will start experimenting with things and that she needs to be careful who she associates with and to not be afraid if something happens where she has to make the decision to part from friends if they are making bad choices.

I watched aspens face, and I swear she was trying to take in as much as possible. She knows it is exciting to get older and be on her own, but as she doesn't know what to expect, she is curious. So we were both thankful for the information.

I keep hearing things that people say about girls and the nasty ways they behave and I am shocked a bit. I know some of it is human nature and spreading your wings. I remember some experiences when I was younger. But it seems to me there is a lot more psychological warfare going on. And to be honest, I am not sure how to prepare my child for that.

As a kid who has been assaulted, I remember not knowing how to 'break the news' to my parents, so I never did. But I do remember that the dialog wasn't there, so to initiate a conversation was a scary thing.

I want things to be different for my kids, but I don't want to give too much information too soon.

I have been talking with both my girls about things I have seen or heard that are not acceptable. When I hear them about my own children, it is immediately conveyed to correct the situation. I have blogged about that before.

But how do you talk about situations you don't know are going to happen?

The best I can do is talk to my daughter about her reactions to what is happening. There is no way I can anticipate what she will encounter. But I can let her know that she has the control and she needs to keep it.

So, all this said, if anyone has advice or books that will enlighten me more, please let me know. I don't intend to keep it to myself. I will share with others as well. After all, there is strength in numbers!

So while I can't do anything about the caddy girl issue, I certainly can talk until my kids ears fall off. And luckily....I'm okay with that!

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment