Saturday, July 30, 2011

Uncle

As I write, I am sitting in a weight watchers meeting. As a member. Tail between my legs. Uncle is the word.

As a leader, I have a responsibility to my members to be on my game. Lately, I have been off. Sitting at my desk for the last two months has caught up with me. And though I have known it, I have been in denial that I will get it all back together. Truth is....I haven't been able to. So here I sit.

I talk to my Members about asking for help all the time. It is crucial to know when you need support. But it is also important to know what kind of support you need.

I remember a situation where I really needed to hear the right thing and it took me THREE calls to get the right response that I needed to make me feel better.

If you have ever asked someone for help and resented when they give it to you....you didn't ask for the right kind of help. Yet figuring out exactly what we need can be tricky.

For me, I need to be accountable. Making good choices isn't always easy for me. So I need someone to check in with and challenge me a bit.

Thought I am a leader, I am no authority. I am merely a guide. Today I got to be an anonymous member. Something I haven't been in a while. It felt good to sit on the other side of things and see it all from a members point of view. It feels a little like home. I sat behind a woman who lost 80 pounds and shared her story. It was very different listening from a members perspective. It was very inspiring.

I have officially been snapped back on track and I feel good about my decision to come back. I already know it is an every day challenge. Having a little extra support-is a good thing.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment