Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day one...

So we are here in palm springs. It is hot and I am swelling as I write. This place is a lot different than Palm desert and to be honest, I feel like Palm springs is a little forgotten.

We had a nice drive out here. This whole dance team 'thing' has totally changed who I am. I drove with someone I have never travelled with before. My first thought, of course, was to meet there. But as we are sharing a room together, that just didn't make sense. So I offered to drive.

Now, of course she is not a stranger. We have known each other for this dance year. We have connected on some level and it is a very easy friendship (well, I don't know how SHE is faring with it, but I am happy. :D)

As we get older, we get a little more 'set' in our ways. And getting to know people is on a whole different level than looking across the play yard and saying "Hi, my name is Cathy. Wanna play?". (remember those days?)

As we Get older, the muck of our lives gets in the way. The scars are more at the surface. Acceptance doesn't come as easy as it did when we were kids. Neither does forgiveness.

So when I say this is an easy friendship I mean it on many levels. (again, only speaking for myself).

So our car ride was great. We talked the whole time, effortlessly. I found out our fathers both passed from the same kind of cancer and only a year apart. And we both had experiences after their passing. Fascinating!

I think there is a soulful connection when you meet and connect with someone so easily. And I do believe we all meet each other for a reason. Whether it is a lifelong friendship or momentary acquaintance.

I can honestly say I can look back on my many friendships and account for how they have contributed to who I am. Good or bad.

I am thankful for both.

This weekend is going to be a fun one, I can tell. It has already started off without effort. And I have already had a nice evening by the pool with the other effortless mommies.

Competition is going strong, and from what I have seen, the kids are doing awesome. I have already lost Avery once and as I write, I am sitting on the convention center floor.

All is well on this little forgotten town. And all I can say is....as long as I have air conditioning, I don't care where I am.

Happy whateverdayitis.....

No comments:

Post a Comment