Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hornin' in

Last week we got a phone call from my in laws that they wanted  to invite our girls to an outing in L.A.   My husband was on the phone with them and I said, "I wanna go too!?" 

Now, as I blurted this out, I didn't even think to myself that they just want a day with the kids.

I was thinking, "Oh my gosh, I was totally gonna go to L.A. with them, what a great opportunity to do it all together! But as the time comes closer, I am feeling a little guilty that I horned in on what could have been a very special/intimate day with the grandparents. 

My in laws are fabulous people.  Even if that wasn't their original intention, they would graciously accept me.....which is why I'm feeling guilty.

I remember one time, I wanted to do a photoshoot for my (then) 11 year old niece, who was visiting from Norway.  But as she didn't have any concrete friends here, I decided I would borrow my friends daughter.  Well my friend actually has 4 daughters, two of which are very good friends with my own daughters.  However, her eldest is not one of the close friends of my daughter.

Since I had my girls with me, I was going to take them on the photo shoot.  My girlfriend agreed to let me borrow her daughter, but when she found out why, she mentioned how the other girls would love to do it too........and out of guilt, I took them.  So, instead of having 2 main models (most of the focus time) and two mini models (a slight portion of the focus time)....I ended up with 6 altogether...and had  to try to give equal focus time so I could get them all in.

Now, as a photographer, one model is hard enough.  You have to work with hair, makeup, mood, lighting poses, etc.......   Now, multiply that times 6 in the same time period you were gonna do 2 (and 2)!

I was exhausted by the end of the shoot, and the worst part of all, is the two main girls I wanted to make feel special, were reduced to a small ingredient in a big batch!  I was very sad.  But at the time, I didn't know how to tell my friend that she just kind of ruined my concept and the quality time with her daughter.

Sometimes we forget the big picture.  It's not always about "us".  Though, most of us would like it to be!

In this instance, though I am very excited to go to L.A. and spend time with family, I am going to sit back a bit and let the girls enjoy this time with their grandparents.  I never had this growing up, so it means the world to me that my kids do!

They have 3 sets of grandparents to hang with, and they enjoy their relationships with each one differently.  My mom is very laid back, while Chris' mom is at their every beck and call.  And Chris' dad and step mom dote and spoil the girls, which of course, my girls love!

As my dad has passed, this time with my father in law is most important to me.  I'm not sure how my dad would have been, but I'm sure he would have gotten a kick out of my girls.  Unfortunately, I can only imagine at this point. 

Life is very precious, and it is made more rich by the relationships we have.  And for that reason, I will enjoy the fact that I horned in, and I will take my camera and document my experiences today, without regret!  But for today, I will call it, "taking advantage".

Happy Wednesday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment