Sunday, July 17, 2011

Shift in perspective

It is funny changing positions when working. Yesterday I got the opportunity to be a a second shooter at a wedding, as opposed to the main/responsible party.

It is the difference between being the boss, or the employee. Instead of scoping out all the shots, I am scoping his every move, and filling in where he left off.

It is a strange shift.

Normally, when I book a wedding, I know everything. Yesterday I showed up and asked, What are the bride and grooms name?

I am not used to walking in blind. But as I was still responsible for the shots I took, I had to make sure that I worked closely with the main photographer to get the shots he needs, because his name and reputation are on the line. And I hate nothing more than disappointing someone who is relying on me. I have been on the other side of that and regretted my decision to trust someone to do my job and I do not want to be that person.

The first thing I realized with his style is, he is not as rigid as me. By the time I shoot a wedding, I have my contracts signed, the names of all the bridesmaids and groomsmen, a list of what shots they want, and I have usually scouted the location and attended the rehearsal so I can see the faces of the families I am going to shoot. But as I know from experience, every wedding and photo shoot is different.

At this particular wedding, (we'll call it a fly by the seat of our pants wedding) - the groom hardly got back to the photographer. So we were left to our own devices. Which means, we go 'standard'.

The problem with not communicating beforehand, is that you end up communicating 'on site', which is a little less professional. And as I have found many many times, people need to be educated about photography. The groom called us in to take pictures during dinner. Have you ever tried to take pictures of someone who is stuffing their face? Did the pictures turn out pretty and was your subject happy? NO! So, we don't do that. But we had to explain to the groom why we were absent at that time. Case in point!

We did have a good time. He is a lot of fun to work with. But I did see the stressed side of him as well. And it is good to know that other photographers have the same issues as I do. Nothing worse than feeling alone.

As we sat between the wedding and reception, we went over the images, I was pleased to see that some of mine made it into the slideshow. I felt much better,

When you are shooting for someone else, your best shots may be the best to you, but if they don't represent the main photographers style, they are as good as trash. So I was definitely feeling better.

It was a long day, but a good day. It is always fun to be a part of a celebration, and hang out with families at their happiest.

Today, we get to do it again. Today's wedding starts at 3. And though I am still a bit nervous to be a second, I am excited to celebrate with a whole new family.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment