Sunday, June 19, 2011

Running

This morning, I went downstairs and immediately to the kitchen like I always do.  The three older kids (Mik, AC and Kai) were already awake; still adjusting to the time.   Pretty soon, they'll be sleeping til noon like the rest of us! 

As soon as I sat down to have my cereal, my sister comes in and mentions that she's going jogging.  Then my niece came in and asked if I wanted to join them?  My sister's marathon time (26 miles in 4hours 1 minute) helped me assess my answer.  NO!

My niece asked why I didn't want to go, and I said, "You are too fast for me".  She said, "So.....you'll get better!" 

OUCH......

Schooled by a 15 year old.  BUT....my answer is still no.  Not now.  Maybe later, or another day ( and for those of you who know me....I do mean it this time).

Then I mentioned to them that I was jealous they were going.  I do need a run, I just don't want to hold up 3 people with my slow time and whining (not to mention I have HUGE project with a deadline).

My sister said, "Yes, I was jealous yesterday when Sven took off without me."  I didn't understand why she was complaining, because she can go anytime she wants.  Then she told me that she hates running alone. 

I was surprised a bit.  Really surprised.  When I was in Norway with her, she dropped me off at the same trail, took off without me, went to the end of the trail and met me back at the car (cuz I'm slow). She didn't seem bothered by it then.

And then she said that for the last year, she just hates to run alone, because she gives up. 

WOW!  My over-achieving sister just said something that totally resounded with me!

I thought about the many times I told myself (while out on the trail and training to run) that I was going to run as fast and hard as I could to "that" tree.  And in the beginning, I always always stopped before I got there, if even by a foot.  It's like I didn't believe in myself. 

Eventually, I got to the point I would run past the tree, but I had to push myself.  Myself.  Boring little self.

When we are left to our own devices, we tend to cheat ourselves.  Because there is nobody to hold us accountable for our efforts or losses.  But when you are with a group, you build each other up and encourage each other and force each other to grow.

42 years old and my sister is still teaching me stuff.  I'm so blessed. 

I told them, if I finish my project, I would like to go for a walk.  My sister, and my niece offered to go with me.  They didn't even hesitate.  And this time, I will be glad to take them up on it, because I know I won't mind holding them back a bit.  And if my niece has anything to do with it, she will help me get better!

Have I told you how much I love these guys!!!!

Happy Sunday and Happy Fathers Day to all you fabulous fathers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment