Saturday, June 18, 2011

Norwegian Invasion

The Norwegian inviasion has begun.  My sister and her family (7 in total), landed last night at 10pm in LAX.  We were home by 12 and in bed by 1am.  I love Saturdays when I get to sleep in......

....usually......

This morning I heard footsteps as loud as a stampede, running around my house.  I knew they wouldn't sleep much, because their life is half way around the clock from us.  So when I heard this, I opened one eye to see the time.......6:34.  Exactly one minute before my alarm is set to go off (on non-sleep in days). 

The kids are excited, because I can hear it has they run around the house - not even trying to be quiet for anyone else who might have a chance at sleeping in.

I sneak downstairs and my oldest nephew (who's already been for a jog) is sitting on his laptop on the couch.  I continue into the kitchen and there are 4 other bodies at  the table eating waffles (the requested cuisine).   I let them know that people (well, me) are still sleeping and to keep it down a bit.  And I let them know that the kitchen is right under our bedroom, so when the slam the cupboards, they are putting a drum over our heads and pounding it loud.

I went upstairs for about 5 more minutes of sleep.  Hoping for more, but as the kids cannot contain themselves, who was I kidding trying to school them on silence!  Silly girl.

For anyone who doesn't know me....to wake me up before I hope to be up is a very dangerous place. 

When my sister came to my door to get my hair dryer, she came in with just the right tone, because she is smaller than me and she knows I can take her! 

Then she laughed as she saw me on the bed in my futile attempt to go back to sleep.  She's had these five kids for many many years.....she's no dummy. 

She climbed on the bed, looming over me, with an evil grin on her face, and starts talking to me about her day and what's gonna happen.  Honestly, I love my sister to death, but could care less at this moment, because I have been cheated out of my beauty sleep!

I finally give in and go back down stairs.  On my way out of my bedroom, my brother in law is upstairs searching for stuff, and I see kids running everywhere.  The energy in the house is booming, and I'm the last to participate.  Even my husband is joyful this morning.  He doesn't need as much sleep as I do.  (futhermucker).

I see the youngest and smallest child running after Jinx, who Chris has renamed "Fat Elvis".  She's running after "Fat Elvis" calling her by her new name, wanting to pick her up.  But every time she gets near; Fat Elvis falls to the floor like a wet noodle with every attempt to roll out of Emma's arms and not be picked up.  These dogs are NOT used to attention like this, so it will be an adjustment for sure!!!

As I get downstairs, I start making banana bread, because I know this time, it will get eaten.  Chris starts going through the refrigerator, examining anything that can be thrown away, in anticipation for the Costco trip that will ensue shortly; bringing home enough food for 11 people to live on for a few days.  (Trust me when I tell you; our counter-depth fridge is not prepared for 11ppl).

As the banana bread goes in the oven, the norwegians are all shoed up for a trip to grandmas house.  Only grandma doesn't know it.  And....they are all walking there.  If I weren't so tired, I would join them. 

The dogs look a little frazzled and welcome the break they will be getting when the kids are gone.  I'm pretty sure Kara has peed herself at least once in all the excitement.

And though it is it alot to handle - 11 people in a smallish, disorganized house (made WAY more organized, thanks to Julie), I am delighted and feeling blessed to have them here.  I love them all and it will be so nice to hang and play.  I'm not sure the Kara and Fat Elvis agree.....but I'm sure they'll warm up.

Happy Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment