Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Geocaching

Yesterday, I decided to take a break from my schedule.  I promised the girls an afternoon out.  We decided to do Geocaching. 

For anyone who hasn't done this before, it's really fun.  It takes a little knowledge or research (mostly because of the lingo), but it's like treasure hunting by GPS.

I downloaded an App for my Iphone.  It can search for caches by my location.  There is a description and a difficulty level, as well as recent logs (people who found the cache) and coordinates if you want to get really technical.

We did this while we were up in Sacramento with my little brother.  I know many other people do it, but without someone showing me, I would have had a harder time picking it up.  Even Chris was like a kid in a candy store when we went looking.  As soon as we would get near a location, everyone would scatter, looking for the clues left for us.  And it didn't matter who found the cache; they were giddy with joy!  (some, you only sign your name, others have trinkets in there that you can trade for).

This is big business.  If you got Geocaching.com, you can find out more.  Some people have chips made with unique numbers, and some are travel bugs with a destination in mind.  Very fun stuff.

As we set out yesterday, we were having lunch locally.   The girls and I decided to go for the closest one, which was actually in the same parking lot area where we were.  This was a tricky one, and Avery spotted it. 

One thing about Geocaching; people can be very tricky in placing stuff.  The way this one was hidden was very creative.  You have to be able to assume it's anywhere!

The next cache we skipped (the girls were not happy), because I think it was in some brush, and as it was hot and I have seen snakes recently, I decided not to take the chance.

The last one we did was very creative as well.  When you place a cache, you have to put it somewhere that people can't find it.  That means, if there are gardeners in the area; it should be put in a place even they won't disturb it.

Aspen spotted our last one of the day.  This one was in a container and had trinkets in it.  BUT....we left our trinkets in the car, so we just signed our names and left.

Very interesting thing about this activity.  You get a lot of exercise.  We must have walked a few miles while searching.  We even jogged at one point.  One of our finds was .5 miles from our parking spot.  And we went the wrong way the first time, so we had to turn around, I'm guessing we got in a good two miles!

I know there are many more around our area.  I told the girls there is one that is a good walking distance away.  I'm thinking of taking the Norwegians with me so we can all partake.  It's a great family activity.  And though it sounds like one big advertisement; it really is just a fun new way to get the family together to play and work as a team and relieve some stress. 

And as I have been glued to my computer for the last few weeks.....I'll take that relief!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment