Thursday, June 9, 2011

Party on

Did you ever walk past a sink full of dishes...and keep walking? 

That has been my life lately.  I have been watching the pile grow and grow and grow.  Did you ever wonder how high the pile can grow, without actually falling over?   I'm sure I don't know the answer to that exactly, but let me just tell you, we are one 'skilled' family! 

We have a really deep sink, because the shallow one that came with the house, would never do.  We have one deep side, and one shallower side (not sure what they were thinkin' there). 

The deep side should go first, but as food is "supposed" to be dumped into the disposal....it usually just hits the sink, still in the bowl.  And waits. 

If too many days go when we can't get to the dishes...the smell reminds us that someone didn't actually use the disposal.  A nice....friendly....pungent reminder.  Nature is good that way.

Some people actually have a system.  There are times I stand in bewilderment as I watch a husband and wife 'team' clear the table and then help each other with the dishes and the cleaning of the kitchen AS their dinner time ritual.  It's not just on TV.  I have literally seen it.

Not in my house, mind you.  But I have watched it happen.  I didn't help, because I was too dumbfounded to offer.  I stood in wonder, watching this team work together, effortlessly.  And when they left the kitchen (in literally half the time), the kitchen was clean and ready for the next meal.

I wish I had taken notes.   Or better yet....had video.

But alas, I did not.

There are times I look at our house and the movie "Animal House" comes to mind.  There are times I feel like Bluto.  Just wanna party on and forget about the rest. 

I sometimes wonder if we had that shallow sink; would I do dishes more often? 

Somehow I think we would likely  become more 'skilled'.  (see first paragraph).

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment