Sunday, June 26, 2011

hmmmmmm........

Today, I'm wondering what to write about.  So many things going on; I'm always in my head. Sometimes it's hard to pull a strand of spaghetti out of the pile.

I am watching my list of jobs grow.  With each session I shoot, there are hours of editing that go along with it.  So far on my list is a wedding, a family portrait, a friends event, a friends portrait session, the end of the year school pictures to be distributed, and with each passing day; an additional recital show. 

I calculate the hours in my head and I ask myself a question:  How are you going to get through all of this in a reasonable amount of time?

My niece, sister and brother in law have already been upstairs to wish me good morning.  I'm feeling a little pathetic.  Though I don't have to be at the theater tonite until 5:30, I'm already looking at the day in terms of editing.  I'm having website issues, posting issues and editing software issues.  It's feeling a bit like an uphill battle.

But...a light in my day.  I delivered the wedding invitations for my August wedding, and the groom just texted me that they are perfect!   A smile in my heart!

That is why I do this job!  I touch peoples lives.  I document their moments.  That means so much to me.  In the past few years, my images have been used as a memorial piece for someone who has passed.  I documented their life.  I have a piece of proof that they were here.  And if I did my job well, my documentation gives you a glimpse of who they were. 

It's not just a picture.  It's a moment.  A very small, yet significant moment.

I get concerned sometimes that I will not capture people the way they want.  But I'm constantly surprised to find, I capture something better.  It may be a touch....a glance....or a laugh....but that is what I look for.  That tells a story.  That is what I love.

My dream job would be to go in, watch, and document what I see.  I do that every year with the recital and I love it.  Not only do I capture these kids' accomplishments....I am documenting their growth!  What a blessing!

After a job, I usually run home to choose my favorite images.  I'm a kid in a candy store.  My favorite won't be anyone else's.  It will be mine.  Because I know exactly what happened at that moment to cause me to take that picture. 

We all view things through our own filters.  We have our own life experiences that bring out different aspects of who we are and what we are drawn to.  I'm always surprised when someone tells me their favorite picture.  But whatever the reason, it is significant to them.  I'm just the vehicle that delivers the image.

So, as I sit today, editing, I will start with my favorites and go from there.  A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down (yes, I'm singing that right now).   But it's true. 

When you have a difficult task in front of you, take the easiest part and go from there.  You will slide right into the rest of it.  It's true with photography.....and true with life!

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment