Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Consider the source

I was reading a magazine this morning and it was about caffeine and its possible benefits in small doses.  Of course, I was immediately intrigued, so I read on.

Then it talked about fatigue and the reasons for fatigue and it gave possible reasons, none of which included a poor diet.  NOT EVEN A MENTION.

Did you realize the food you eat is meant to be fuel for your body?  And if you eat the good stuff, you’ll have energy?   Did you realize that food can cure as well as kill???

Did you know that you can find an answer to every question you ever asked, but get a different answer every time???  And they all might be right???

There are a million approaches to any one issue we have in our lives.

If I have a stomach ache and go to a doctor; he can cure me. If I go to a nutritionist; he can cure me. If I go to a chiropractor; he can cure me.  They will all apply their principles of healing in different ways, and you will find relief on some level.

Choose your healer carefully.

We are all searching for answers, right?  When I was pregnant with my first daughter; the big debate was to vaccinate, or not to vaccinate.  My sister, who lives in Norway, was vehemently against it.  She mailed me books about how vaccines will screw up your kids.  She even went as far as to say vaccines screwed me up!  (I had issues…but we won’t go into that.  Oh wait, I still do!  Nevermind…)

At any rate, I read through her books which freaked me out – because they were ANTI-vaccine.  BUT….when I had my beautiful baby girl, so perfect and healthy, I went into the doctor for our (what most people think is required) shots and about freaked out.  There were SO MANY MORE vaccines than I thought!  I wasn’t prepared for what was 6-8 vaccinations on my perfectly healthy baby girl.  The doctor came in and I stressed my concerns.  Clearly, she was at least a bit insulted when she conveyed her adamant response - that she had had six children, vaccinated them all, and there were no problems.  (As if I was challenging her decision!)

I told her that was great, but this is my child, and I wasn’t ready to make my decision at that appointment.  (I’m going to say it).  She was such a bitch about it, I left in tears.  She made me feel uncomfortable and regretful.  So I did what any good mother would do…….

I found another doctor.

If you believe everything you read or hear without doing your own research, you are really selling yourself short.  After I left that doctors office, I looked at the benefits of vaccinations and I realized that you can literally find anything you want to support or justify your decisions.  You just have to look.  But….you will get exactly what you look for.

If you want good news; look for the good news.  If you want bad news; follow the bad news trail.

But if you have gut instinct….go with that and research that!!!

I have been dealing with ailments all my life (various and minor like everyone else).  And if I have a back ache, I go to a chiropractor, while others will go to a traditional doctor.

When I had a bulging disc, I decided to go the chiropractic route.  If I went to a traditional doctor, they would have cut me open and done surgery on the disc.  But the chiropractor used his magic table and 8 months of therapy later, I’m healed and pain free.  True, the surgery might have worked too, but I’m much happier having one less scar in my life.  We have enough of those to carry, right???

Anyway, I digress.   As I read this article this morning, I realized that people are many times limited by what they see, without doing the additional research necessary to see if there is any actual foundation to their findings.  If I had read that article and not questioned it, I would be looking for one of those ailments as to why I’m tired all the time!  And I say what a shame.

As a Weight Watchers leader, I get tons of questions from my members about certain foods, and fad diets, all hopeful that what they have found is going to be quicker or better than changing their habits to make good choices for the rest of their lives.  And my answer is always the same;

What will you do when you are done with your “diet”?

Most people don’t realize the weaved web of obesity.  But I won’t go into that today. 

Today I am simply going to say; if you read an article and enjoy it – good for you.  But if you read an article and live by it……better research what you are living.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment