Wednesday, June 29, 2011

One last time.

I'm beginning to think I'll get to sleep when I'm dead!  Between the alarm clock (for hubby) and the birds outside and my brain leaping into action.....sleep ain't happenin'!

Once again, I'm the single body up and roaming the house (hubby's off to work).  I tried to lay in bed, but my mind started thinking, and once that happens....forget it! 

The milk is almost empty and there are 7 kids in the house "in need".  However, as I write, I have been up for an hour and a half and haven't even considered going to the store.  Mentally, I'm just not there year.  And since everyone is still asleep....there's no urgency.

It is the last night of recital.  A bittersweet night.  The kids have worked so hard and done so well.  With each night an additional prop is missing (I notice this from my seat).  For both of my kids; all but two dances are left.  The costumes from the rest of the dances are no doubt, carelessly thrown about, discarded if you will, because my children are now done with them!  Thank God I'm a photographer, and I have the pictures to prove that my children wore and performed in them!

This morning, I'm sifting through pictures, looking for my favorites.  But I have decided I will call on a few consultants before posting some, because inevitably, when I post, I get a comment from a dancer that a foot was out of place, or the jump was "almost" right, or my favorite....."oh....my fingers aren't correct".  Sometimes, I just get an "Ewwwwww....."  Which doesn't offend me in the least.  Most of the dancers are in their teen, or pre-teen years.  

It's actually a good sign that they are so critical.   That would indicate they care about what they are doing. 

I wasn't sure how much Aspen has grasped in the last year of her taking ballet.  This is new to her, and though I was VERY proud of her performance, it was a class that she complained about most.  (Only because it was slow and repetitious compared to her tumbling passion).  I asked her one day during one of the shows which of the girls were doing the best ballet performance in this dance (that we were watching).  She called out three names.  (No, I'm not telling you which ones.  But two I knew, and one I didn't). 

Her answer showed me that she had taken in much of the technique and she knew what to look for.  This made me more proud than just seeing her perform.  Dance is learning.  It is another language.  It does take effort.  And these kids work very hard.

As I was waiting for pictures to download last night, I found some pictures I had taken in 2004.  As I have been doing this for many years, it's fun to be able to look back and see how the kids have grown.  First, of course, I look for Aspen (Avery was too young).  I see her in her first performance, dancing to "A Spoonful of Sugar".    (tried to post pics yet again.....won't upload....sorry)

As I go through the pictures and see how all the girls have grown, I feel a tug at my heartstrings.  I pulled a few and posted them for the girls to look at.  Many of them are still in dance and have been increasing their skills for the last 7 years (at least.....).  What an honor to watch them grow, and to have been able to document it all.

I do not have a good memory......I have a camera. My camera helps me to remember.  It justifies the cost of the costumes, and the images bring me back to that moment in time.  I can still feel my pride when I see 'little' Aspen on stage.  

And tonite, when the little monkeys, zebras, elephants and popcorn girls come out on stage (as well as our little fireworks), I'll tear up again...while watching all their efforts pay off one last time!!!!

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment