Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Let the Games Begin!!!

Let the games begin!

From now until about July 10th, I will be running a marathon.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

Every year around this time, things get crazy.  It is the end of year, so school activities, coupled with dance, and work, completely overwhelm me.  But this year, it is even worse.  This year, my girls are on dance team – oh, and did I mention my sister is coming with her family to stay at our house…for a month???  (don’t let me fool you, I can’t wait!)

So what you say???

Well, I know I will get through it, but as of this morning that “fear of losing it” feeling somehow got set aside for the “Let’s gitterdun” feeling.


It’s 8:45 and I have already fixed an image print order with the company, categorized, which dances are on what days for my girls, coordinated who is going to which show, ordered tickets for their seats, completed ads for the recital program, arranged for my girls to be where they are on picture day (since I have a wedding to shoot and won’t be there), and convinced my husband he needs to accept the invitation to be in their show!  And I am now completing my blog.

I have already been yelled at, thanked, and kissed goodbye. 

I have been on the phone to Norway, to confirm the scheduled events of my guests, and arranged for a guest (my mother) to be with them on one of their trips while here.

And, this is only the beginning.

(Let me just say; when you have to open up Excel to organize upcoming events – it can’t be pretty.)

For the rest of this week, I will be preparing for a wedding, creating an invite for another wedding, finishing ads for the program, baking cookies for picture day, collecting images and coordinating the DVD presentation for the 5th grade DVD and, somehow getting through it all.

This is a time, when you lower your expectations, or lose your mind.  It becomes clear, real quick, which tasks are the most important and which can go on the backburner.

As stressful as it is, I am thankful for these times, because I realize I can keep it all together.  And if I don’t – no one will die and life will go on.

I think we need these times in our lives to re-prioritize and figure out what is most important.  Because I think we tend to get really busy, and forget.

I was talking with someone yesterday who was really in the thick of life’s muck.  I’m always grateful to be able to offer any perspective at times like these, because we all go through it.  And when we are in it, it’s really hard to see the light of day.

But when you are in it; head swirling with negativity, you need to stop….take a breath….and re-prioritize.  Really examine if the bad stuff is really that bad, or if it has just grown in your mind, amplified by the negativity you feel.

As for me, I’m feeling pretty empowered right now.  I have accomplished much in this last quick hour, and I’m off to my walk and then more 5th grade stuff, then girl scouts, then more dance stuff and baking.

My day is full.  But I am happy!  I’m here.  I’m capable.  I’m willing!

Happy Wednesday


No comments:

Post a Comment