Sunday, June 5, 2011

Race day

I am up and ready for the Camp Pendleton mud run. I have sciatic pain running from my hip all the way to the heal of my foot. A smart person might use this excuse to pull out of the race. But I guess I am not on the smart list.

So, why am I still going to embark on this painful journey? Because I bought the ticket, and I know I will survive. I am going to hurt either way, right? Why not do it with an accomplishment under my belt?

Many people get a little squiggy when I talk about the mud run. They look at me as though I have tentacles growing out of my head. They are curious as to why anyone would want to put themselves through the "torture" of running six miles, in dirt, climbing fences and mucking through mud.

I get their confusion, because I used to feel the same way. Someone would seriously have to have a screw loose to do something so crazy.

And, my answer is; I have found the value in it.

Plain and simple!

There is value to us in the choices we make. But as value systems vary from person to person -so do their decisions.

When we do something hard, it makes no sense to us if we don't care about it enough. And even if we care about something, it doesn't mean we have found the value in it. Sometimes it is a process to get there.

For me, it started a few years ago with my weigh loss. I didn't exercise in the beginning, because I didn't see it necessary and, frankly, I just hated exercise. I thought people were crazy to do it, and I didn't want to be bothered.

But then, four months into my weight loss, I started walking. And I started losing weight faster. And as I got better, I started running, and I started seeing shape in my body. And I started putting two and two together. This exercise thing really works!

And with that, I was off...... Exercise was a part of my life. I found the value in it.

When I started engaging in races, it wasn't easy. I spent the first half of whatever race I was doing, talking to myself in my head about what an idiot I was for doing this. Then as I neared the finish line, my excitement grew. And when I crossed the finish line, the elation took over.

Now, I know that not everyone will find the value in exercise. Maybe it isn't on their radar screen. But there are choices we make in life that will benefit us, that are difficult to make. And until we can see the outcome of the difficult choice and all the ways it will work in our favor, adding to our happiness, it will be difficult to see the value in making the right decision.

Accept that it is process, but the benefits outway the risks.

So, as I will quite possibly walk the whole mud run today, I will keep in mind that it is only 2 hours of my life of walking in pain. But the finish line - that sense of accomplishment and achievement- will make it all worth while!

Happy Sunday,

No comments:

Post a Comment