Friday, June 10, 2011

glug glug glug

Last night I literally made a spreadsheet for my kids dance classes.
This parenting thing is not for sissies!

So many times I flash back to when I was pregnant and my co worker laughed at my 'plans' while home with my baby.  She couldn't wait until I had my daughter and realized there was no time.

I have found I am fooling myself to think as they get older, my time will free up more.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  Because this parenting thing, goes beyond just me being a mom.  I have to be a time keeper and assistant to my children so the grandparents can be aware of their schedules too.

There have been so many little events that have come up where I completely forgot to invite the grandparents.  COMPLETELY!!!  (Did I ever tell you about the Mother's day where I forgot to invite my mom?....no?  okay...another day.....). 

I can barely get through my own days, let alone, keep everyone else abreast of my kids' schedules.  I'm literally creating their schedules the day before dance.

If you follow my posts at all, you know I'm not the most organized or put together person, but I get by.  When it's just me!

As the girls' recital is approaching, I'm thinking about making sure my equipment is ready to go and my batteries charged for the performances.  NOT to alert the grandparents, family and friends that ticket sales just started.  Then when I realized that I need to send a notification to the family, I have to first sit down and look at all the 10 dances the girls are in, and sort out which performance will feature both girls (and hopefully get one of the team dances in there) so we don't have to make everyone come back for multiple shows.

By the time I put two and two together, there were a few smatterings of seats towards the back of the theater.  Total Fail!!!

As a parent, you have to think outside yourself.  People like to be witness to childrens growth and progress.  A dance recital is big business.  Did you know it's customary to bring the dancers flowers?  Another reminder I must send out to the grandparents.

If you are reading this, and think I am frustrated that I have to tell the grandparents anything, you are reading it wrong.  There are times I feel bad for the grandparents, because their daughter in law is scatterbrained and forgetful.  But they do realize I'm doing the best I can, and forgive me my shortcomings.  Thank God for that!

As this is the first year my girls are on dance team, I have learned a lot.  It takes thinking WAY ahead.  I have started a calendar on my ipad.  It's supposed to make my life easier.  But the problem does, it doesn't input the information for me.  For that I still need an assistant.  Does anyone want to apply???

I seriously envy those who have it all together, schedule-wise.  I still can't wrap my head around it!  BUT....to my credit, I am photographing the recital which puts me in working mode and I never mix work and family, therefore the disconnect is justified.  (Well...in my mind, anyways).

So, I have learned, I must communicate more with hubby and let him know that this is his realm of expertise, therefore, we will commuicate better and I will pass the baton to him.

I know there's an answer out there.....I just have to find it!
(applications for my life's assistant, being accepted now). 

Happy Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment