Monday, January 30, 2012

Yay for goals

Yesterday was the first day of girlscout cookie sales.  It's a day I don't really look forward to, because peddling my kids doesn't set well with me.  But as we are part of a group, we will participate as required and at least do our part.  It's money for the troop which helps our girl have a great experience, so off we go!

Each girl has their own goal.  Aspen was initially 100; Avery 53.  We can do this!

Julie took the girls at 9 as I had to work.  By the time I picked them up, Aspen had sold 38 boxes door to door (60 from friends and family) and Avery had sold 20.    Not bad for 2 hours.

When I came home, I remembered a friend of mine offered me up her street in a gated community, where not a lot of little ones live.  So Avery jumped on it, while Aspen stayed home.  (It was a hottish day, so I don't blame her). 

Avery was full of determination.   She wants to earn the gift of 250 boxes (the award is a $5 item, but whatever).  I watched her go door to door all by herself, while I stood at the sidewalk.  She asked every last person (the ones that opened the door anyway) and took the rejections like a princess.  And moved on to the next.

Every new house was the lottery for her...either she won, or she had to play again.  She was excited for the win, even if only one box.  We tallied our way through and added another 26 boxes to her day.  That was only one side of the street.  We never even crossed over. 

As we had run out of all the peanut butters and shortbreads, we decided to head home.  But we had one more house that promised to buy 10 thin mints.  So we went home, loaded up and delivered the last 10.

Then at a friends house, she wanted 6, and another who wanted 4.  Then we roped Nanna into 5 boxes.  So now we are at 71 boxes on day one (and that doesn't count what we have for us yet)!

Her goal was so clear in her mind that she didn't care how many people said no.  She was polite and kept going.

I was so energized and proud watching my daughter go door to door because she has that prize in her head.  It's her goal.

It's amazing how much a good goal can drive us.  But it needs to be concrete and really mean something.  Clearly, Avery's goal is in her minds eye.  I really didn't want to go walking door to door yesterday, because I was tired from working and not sleeping well the night before.  But the energy I felt from her excitement; and the pride I felt from watching her be the little trooper made all my "tired" go away.

She's already surpassed the troop goal.  Now she is on to her personal goal.  And I will do whatever it takes to help her reach her goal.  I came into this looking down at the cookies and eager to be done.... Now I need to go pick up a few more cases so we can keep going.

Funny how that works, isn't it???

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment