Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wrapping up at the dance studio

As my 3 day shooting fest comes to a close, I am excited.  Now I get to go through the pictures and find my favorites.  With each day of shooting, many times feeling "Groundhog Day" moments (like Bill Murray in the film), I found myself seeing the same people, asking myself and them, "Did I already shoot this class?"

Then I had kids coming up to me asking if I could come and shoot pictures in their class!!  This always makes me happy!
As a photographer, there are times you feel like a pest.  When I walked into a Pilates class on Monday night, for example, the mom's (who were mixed in with the students) gave me the vulcan death stare from across the room.   I had a couple of actual threats.  To which I informed the moms, "I DO take bribes!!! I can make those picture disappear!

I'm guessing the assumption was they would look awful.  I would have cringed if a camera came into any of my classes too!  I just want to learn, I don't want to be hounded by paparrazi!!!

However, at the end of the day, my goal is to show the best of the best!  And if a mom or two falls under that category, they should be really proud of themselves as they will be displayed as the example!!!

It's not always easy taking pictures.  Things like Hip Hop and jazz are really cool, but if you are just watching and taking pictures, sometimes the dance doesn't translate.  So we had to get creative.  In one class in particular, the girls spent the whole time doing leaps for me!  It was so much fun!!  I love love love these students.  They are so amazing, and so friendly and so respectful it warms my heart.  I can't help but think this dance studio and these teachers have a lot to do with it. 

One of my favorite moments yesterday was when one of the students assigned herself as my assistant.  She walked around with me for a few hours and made sure I was where I was supposed to be, and even took some pictures, of which she was very proud!!!

In the end, she followed me to MY Tap class, and proceeded to take pictures with my camera of me and the class tapping!!  The pictures turned out really cute.   However, as I am the photographer, I have full Veto rights and so in my collage, you will not see MY face in any of the pictures.  Not that their bad, mind you....simply because I don't want to!!!



Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment