Sunday, January 8, 2012

13 years of Marriage

A friend recently sent me a photo of a sign; Love is blind...but Marriage is a real eye opener!!!

Boy ain't it the truth!  Marriage isn't for sissies, I tell ya!  I think Chris and I would have traded each other in MANY times over the years!!!

So what keeps us going???

Well, I am not gonna sit here and tell you that it's been great!  But I will tell you it's been a ride...and it's been worth it.

Marriage is a funny thing.  When you marry; you pick a life partner.  That means you want them there with you through the good, the bad and the ugly. 

Within a year of our marriage, I knew I chose wisely.  We became pregnant.  And then we lost it.  At that point we weren't sure what was going on, we were both a little scared that kids weren't in the cards for us.  But thankfully, within a short period of time, we became pregnant again with Aspen. 

Shortly after that, we found out my dad was sick.  When he died, it devastated me.  Thankfully, I was there with my dad.  Within minutes of my phone call (from up north), Chris was booked on a flight to meet us.

He was never one for death, dying, funerals or "viewings".  I wasn't sure what to expect from him.  But what showed up was a big shoulder to cry on, and a pillar of support.  It made everything so much easier knowing I had someone to lean on in this horrible time of my life.  My dad had just walked us down the aisle barely a year earlier.

After the birth of Aspen, we became pregnant within the year.  And lost it again.  But we quickly became pregnant with Avery.  During the pregnancy with Avery, we discovered mold in our house and had to live in demo for nearly 8 months. 

When tragedy happens, many emotions are on your sleeve.  You are confused and doing your best to process what is going on.  You wonder how you will go forward.  If you have the wrong partner, this could go badly.

If you choose wisely, you grow with each experience.  Thankfully, Chris and I have grown.

Over the years, we have watched some of our close friends divorce.  With each divorce I was thrown, completely.  I didn't see it coming.  My heart was broken for the couples who split.  I dissected their relationships, and realized that their weaknesses were our strengths.  Communication.

Funny enough, I am usually the first to shut down and walk away.  But thanks to the tenacity of my husband, that isn't an option.  If he does one thing well, he finishes an argument. 

One thing he has in common with my dad...he can go from serious and angry to a sarcastic joker in 0-60 seconds.  We can have an all out argument.  But when its done...it's done.  And he throws in a joke.  Just like my dad used to do.  It's probably one of my favorite qualities.

We still laugh together.  We raise our kids together.  We have Sunday dinner with family. 

Over the years, we have learned that tragedy will happen.  But we don't have to let it rule our lives. 

Marriage isn't for sissies at all.  It takes a lot of work, but in the end it's worth it. 

Chris, you have taught me so much over the last 13 years.  Thank you for being my partner.  Thank you for making me laugh.  Thank you for hearing me.  Thank you for managing the small details and thank you for being a great father to our kids.   Happy Anniversary.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment