Monday, January 2, 2012

Settling back to reality

Well, this is the last day (for a while) that I get to sleep in.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my days off.  I really took a step back this holiday and appreciated at bit more family time and pulled myself away from the computer.

I learned a few things......

Initially, pulling away from the computer was inconvenient.  It wasn't my intention.  However, with all the Tech-NOT-ogy I am surrounded by; the decision was made for me and I had to roll with it.  And I realized that it is really easy to "hide" from the world when you have an Iphone/Ipad to keep you busy.

We are turning into a shut in world with all this stuff. 

A few weeks ago, I got picked up on at Starbucks.  At first I thought, "Wow...I must be looking hot or something!"  And I took the compliment.  However, in looking back, at the time "said guy" was walking past me and I smiled at him, I think I was literally the only one NOT buried in my electronic business!!  And as he passed again, I smiled, yet again...because my phone was tucked in my purse. 

I giggle sometimes when I watch people in public places.  You can almost see the transition of "oh wow...I'm so vulnerable sitting here doing nothing, I think I will pull out my phone and dawdle while I wait for something else to happen!" 

With the invention of the Internet, I think we have become increasingly paranoid and therefore look a people as "potential" threats.  Not literally.  But I do believe we are losing the ability to simply smile and say hi!!!

I love to smile and say hi to people on the street.  I like to meet their eyes and see what they are about.  You can tell a lot by looking at someones face.  If they have had a hard life, it is worn and tired.  If they are happy, it is bright and cheery, fewer lines on the face.

I am enthralled with how our lives become so apparent on our skin.  I love to examine it and make stories about people and what their lives have done to them to bring them to this point.

We are an interesting lot.  We all have a story.  Some are more interesting than others.

As we settle back into our routines this year, take the time and put down your phone.  Look around and connect.  It just takes a second.  And it is a very good practice!!!

And who knows.... maybe someone will pick up on you!!!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment