Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sitting in classes

Yesterday I had to go around to dance classes at MV dance, and take pictures for the dance studio. For years I sat outside the glass, watching my kids learn. I never really heard what was going on on the other side. I never really gave it much thought, as I was just watching the end result.

What I found while being on the "other side" was fascinating.

Each class and each teacher brings a certain flavor to learning.

I thought learning dance was simple counts and repetition. But as with anything else, there is a history to every form of dance, certain dancers of note used in reference, and the instructors interpretation of how to deliver the information.

As I have been at this dance studio for years, it was really fun to be a fly on the wall and watch things unfold before me.

If you are going to be a serious dancer, ballet is necessary. As one teacher told me, if dance is words- ballet is the alphabet. Everything stems from that.

Now I say that, because as I sat in ballet, you can tell the dancers who are there for passion....and those who are just there to 'spell'. It isn't for everyone, but it is necessary.

As I was in lyrical class, references to ballet were present. It really is the foundation of dance. (not to mention excellent posture!)

As I watched the ballet teacher explain certain moves, he constantly gave reference to solidify his point. It was never just 'do this'. There was an explanation of how and why. I was perfectly fascinated.

As I circled to other classes, I found the same sort of thing; practical knowledge with reference and history. These kids have it good.

I find there is more reason to do something well, when you know why you are doing it.

It is clear these teachers love what they do. There is definite passion there. It is also clear that they know their history, which gives each move more weight. I would like to say their information hits home every time - really I would. But for some students, let's just say you can lead a horse to water.....

I have a couple more days of circulating classes and I am really excited. I am thankful to the teachers for letting me poke in. They have been most gracious. But I am more thankful for the knowledge. Clearly, they have a lot to offer, and I have a lot to learn.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment