Saturday, January 21, 2012

Know your game plan

I work on the fly a lot.  My schedule can change any minute; as long as I'm willing and available.

Not all members of this family feel the same way.  Nor do they want to try to change.

Sometimes things come up and you just go for it.  This weekend I had scheduled a last minute session for headshots.  Many times headshots are more urgent than other sessions, so when it comes to scheduling, I become more flexible with headshots.  In other words, I'm more willing to dip in to family time.

The timing was fine until we heard rain was coming.  Then we had to scramble.  My client was fine waiting until next week, but I was working on pushing it sooner. 

We worked out a time for yesterday afternoon, while the girls were at dance. 

My Friday night plans were to drop Aspen at a "dance" and Avery and I would catch a movie.  We did it last week and Avery loved it.

As this client was a friend of my girls I figured they would be excited and be mindful if the plans had changed.  But as it turned out, Aspen still got to go to her dance and Avery didn't get the movies.  By the time we dropped their friend off, it was just enough time to get home get Aspen ready and drop her off. As the next movie time would have been too late; and I could sense Avery was tired, I opted out of the movie..............

but she wasn't ready to budge.

She had it in her mind that this would happen and she was extremely disappointed.  I felt really bad.  It wasn't fair to her that I had jumbled things up.

But at the same time, as an adult, I have to make decisions that aren't going to be popular with the family.   Things don't always work out as we hope. 

I stood strong in my choice, but I was well aware that Avery was the casualty of the night. 

So, I owe her a little date.

That girl gets something in her mind and it MUST happen or their is hell to be paid!!!

If I were a good mommy, I would remember that.  She has a brain like no others! 

I remember when she was 3 years old and I had to call her at my moms house (she was watching them for me) and I said, "Avery, do you remember where I put your little princess DVD player?" 
She said, "You put it up high, mommy.  In our room". 

The thing that got me was it was up there for quite a while.  But she doesn't forget.  Aspen doesn't remember what happened 5 minutes ago.  But Avery remembers everything!

So when being jumbled and forcing my schedule in a new direction, I need to remember the casualties before I make my decisions.  And for the sake of my sanity....plan just a little better.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment