Friday, November 11, 2011

Middle school antics

Last night Aspen and her girl scout troop got together for a pow wow.  I got to sit in and listen and chat with the girls as well.

The leaders wanted to check in with the girls and see how their middle school experience was going.   It was amazing to us that the "Popular" people were already established.  And it so happens that they are the ones who are 'dating' each other and using bad language.

Thankfully, it is none of our girls.

"Dating" at this age is a bit different than when I was a kid.    It honestly sounds like marking territory than anything else.  A kid will ask another kid if they wanna go out.  The kid says yes and BOOM....they are dating.

Usually lasts until lunch time I'm guessing. 

But my question is Why?

They are so young yet so anxious to grow up.  I remember this for myself. I wasn't 11, I was 11 3/4.  Or "almost 12". 

It's like they are anxious to shed their protective skin layer and become individuals who make independent decisions.  It was very interesting listening to the kids talk about their experience.

The leaders talked about the use of the word Popular and what it means to them.  And I find it funny that one girl in middle school is literally discussing how popular she is.  I don't want to judge, but sounds like the town slut to me.  (hopefully I am wrong).

It is funny to me how the kids are so observant about the other kids' behaviors.  The caddiness with the girls started long ago in elementary school, and now it is carried over into a bigger fish pond with lots more fish.

Most of the girls have made new friends.  No surprise there.  But some of the girls have already shed their new friendships because the other kids weren't so nice.

As I listened, I actually got a great sense of our girls.  They are all children with very present parents.  And the words coming out of their mouths were very mature and respectful.

They were all anxious to share their stories and ask their questions and bond with each other as a group; knowing that while their middle school experience won't be easy; it will be handled together. 

I loved listening to how open they all were.  It's almost like they were so relieved to blow steam about what has been happening to them and around them. 

For the most part it wasn't shocking to any of us moms.  Between the three of us, we covered all gamut of middle school experiences.  One of us was popular (totally not me), one was indifferent, and I was mortified.  I hated middle school.  My world was complete in elementary school.

The immersion of all these other schools into one was too much for me to handle.  And I was in 7th grade.  These girls are in 6th.

You'll be happy to know that bullies still exist, people who use others for their homework, nerds, rich kids, popular kids....it's all the same.  

But thankfully, our girls have something to fall back on while going through this experience. 
Us!

Very glad to be present in my kids lives.  I see how it makes a difference in the choices they make growing up. My daughter has no interest in dating anyone, nor did any of these girls.  They don't 'need' it.  They have a very good sense of who they are.

And if someone does ask my daughter out and she says yes....I'll make sure to meet the little fella.  He can come to my house and I'll introduce myself....while I'm cleaning my double barrel shotgun.  Just like my dad did for me!!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment