Sunday, November 20, 2011

Christmas Music and gifting

Starting my morning off a little late; had to take my niece and the girls to Krispy Kreme in their pjs for a morning excursion.

My little brother is down visiting for the holidays with his family.  I have yet to see him, his wife and their son.  They were here yesterday, but I had to clean my house and shoot a bridal shower.  When Chris picked up the kids yesterday, he brought home an extra.

It's so great to see family around the holidays.  I can't help but reflect back on our childhood and how we were raised.

On the way back from Krispy Kreme, I was switching channels and I heard Christmas music.  Aspen said aloud to Savanna, "I love Christmas music!" 

For some reason that statement took me back over 30 years.  My dad used to play Christmas music ON Christmas.  Not before, or after (as I can recall), and it used to bug me.  Because it just "showed up" on Christmas.  This didn't create the Christmas spirit to me. 

I'm not sure what Christmas spirit is, to be honest.  I don't know why people talk about it like it's a fond thing, because most people I see this time of year are a bit stressed out and usually anxious about something.  Me included.

I'm scrambling to think about what to get for whom.  I need to think ahead, because I don't want to buy just anything.  I really want it to be special.
But, now I ask the question: what is "special"?

I never understood why my parents stood back on Christmas and watched us rip open our presents.  They never had anything from us (again that i can recall).  We lived a priveleged life.  Not a rich one; but priveleged.  When I think back on my Christas' a few gifts stand out.  One was of a set of monkeys that hugged each other.  I don't know why I remember these monkeys. But they were special.  They were something I hadn't asked for.  And then I remember the game of Risk.  It was something I asked for, but ultimately never ended up learning how to play it and so it sat there unused.

It's interesting to me that the item I didn't ask for was more special and lasted way longer than the item I thought I wanted.  As any kid, how would I know the difference.  I want what I want and that is that!

But in the end, it was the love of the gift given that I didn't ask for that held the most love.  And therefore got the most joy from me, the recipient.  It's almost like my dad knew exactly what he wanted me to have.  I wish I still had those monkeys today!

So in thinking about the Christmas spirit, my goal ever year, is to find those monkeys for my loved ones.  Unfortunately, at the end of the day....I usually end up with Risk!

Christmas spirit for me, is in the days that lead up to the holiday.  It is the constant reminder of what we have.  Right now.  Both in each other and ourselves.  It is the gift that was given to us from God that there is honestly no way we can repay.  Which in my opinion is why it is so hard to "gift" at the holidays.

So I will do my best to sing those Christmas songs with my girls every day until Christmas.  And I will be thankful for all we have.  And the gifts......ehhhh ....whatever!!!

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment