Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Decisions....to worry or not to worry

This week Aspen got an "invitation" to start a Pre-Point class.  She was instantly excited....I was not!

I just got my schedule set up for them and me, and was very excited to see I had one full day off of any other obligation.  This freed me up to either have a "Gel" day with my kids, or just have free time to do whatever.

It is so important to me to have some "me" time, because I feel like I am stretched to the limit sometimes.  I really need the downtime to re-coop!

After I told her "no way" and left her crying, the fear started seeping in.  What if I screw this up?

As it is, Aspen is dancing with girls that are a bit younger than her.  I started her "late" (or so it feels that way), because the girls that are her age are a bit further along in their dance instruction.

I have said it before.  I live my life in hindsight.  It's nothing I am proud of; just something that "is".   

As I didn't want to live in hindsight on this one; I decided to ask around.    And what I found made me very emotional.

The teachers at this dance studio are really looking out for the kids.  They are with my kids a lot and they are watching their development.  They are making decisions on children's behalf based on their skill.  They are looking at the children individually.

One teacher said to me, "I believe your daughter has been underestimated because of her size".   And to that another teacher added, "your daughter has the right attitude and right body structure to go forward.  And with her attitude, she can do anything". 

I found myself holding back tears in front of these teachers.  These are people who not only see my child's potential; they see her heart.  They see her in a way I cannot.  I'm not a dancer.  Not like that!

I was grateful for their vision.  And thankful they see her!

I did some research and talked to other parents.  Parents who have already gone down this path.  And I realized that this decision is a good one for Aspen.  

On the way home from dance, Aspen spent the car ride home convincing me why pre-point was a good decision for her.  "I want to go to a dance college.  They look at ballet technique and this well help me get in!"  I was beside myself listening to her conviction.  She was talking about being on a Ballet Company!  I was stunned......but proud beyond words.  She knows what she wants.  And she isn't afraid to convince me or anyone else of her intended path.

One of the moms expressed to me that she knows it's going to suck to bring her for another day (yes, her words!).....but she convinced me it would most definitely be worth a try!  I'm thankful for her hindsight!

And as I came home last night, I got a call from my brother.  He was concerned about an issue with his 8 year old daughter; my niece.  As he spoke, I could hear the concern in his voice and I knew exactly how he felt.  I gave him my hindsight and he was grateful  (as I always say it takes a village).

And I was grateful for his call.  Because as I was worried about my 11 year old going forward and making sure she grows up right; he was worried about his 8 year old and whether she'd be alright.  And after I hung up the phone with him, I realized that both our girls will be alright!  Because they have parents who worry about them!

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment