Wednesday, November 16, 2011

holiday gift ideas and struggles

People are getting creative this holiday.  They are asking for what they want.  And what they want is something useful or meaningful to them.  I already got a note from my nephew requesting his Christmas present.   How bold is that?

Well, I think it's beautiful!!!  And frankly, I'm relieved!  He is on my "must" list (which has gotten progressively shorter every year).

I felt a sense of relief that we could actually contribute towards something that he wants, and it won't be returned!

My hope every year is that I will come up with something that is meaningful for the recipient of my gifts.  Sometimes I work really hard at it.  But in the end, I'm left with a question mark over my head wondering if it will ever leave the box.

My sister in law forwarded an email that I thought was brilliant.  All gifts should be from local retailers for services that will help boost local economy.  I loved this idea, because I realized, many of the things on the list would be things I would definitely use:  Gift certificate for a haircut or nails from the recipients regular salon; breafast certificates from the local restaurant; oil change for the car (College kids would LOVE this!), a cleaning lady visit? (I would LOVE that), coupons for childcare, or whatever!

I know for me, I never get my hair cut.  But when i had a gift certificate, I jumped at the chance.  Massage coupons are never lost either! 

Now, the first thing I thought of when I read that article was: If I could afford a whole massage, I would get one for all my friends.  So, is it okay to give a portion gift certificate?  Absolutely.  Or, work with a few friends to contribute to the whole kitten Kaboodle.  But the point was to shop local retailers.  Too much money goes overseas and our own little economy over here could use a boost.  So why not get creative!!

A few months ago, I had the whole Starbucks fiasco.  Not that they didn't to their best to make it right; but they still don't have my full confidence back.  And as they are such a huge conglomeration, I will likely lean towards the smaller local coffee joint down the street for my local peeps.

Jiffy Lube is right down the street as well as some great little cafes.  And for the kids, maybe a lesson at the local karate place. 

My minds'a rollin' now.

If you have creative ideas, let me know!  This season is hard; and with the economy being what it is, it's very hard earned money that will leave to find its new home.  But if the new home is local; then I guess that works just fine.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment