Sunday, November 13, 2011

Building character and being accountable

I remember as a kid, I  heard about the possibility of earning money throwing papers.  I was in 6th grade.  I called right away and got my first paper route.  Then in 7th grade I changed papers and started working for the Orange County Register.  I had 55 people on my route.  I did it for a few years.

Then after that I got a "real" job at Lamppost Pizza; did that through high school and graduated over to a bank.  I have literally been working since 6th grade.

What about kids today?

Life has changed in the last 30 years.  Kids aren't as responsible as they used to be.  And many of them have no idea what consequences are.

I have friends who have teenagers.  I'm not looking forward to these years, because the horror stories I'm hearing do not make me happy.

I once asked a friend, "Why don't you just take their car away".  And the response was, "Because it makes it harder on the parents to get them where they need to go".  I Chee Waa Waa.......

Parents are tired and working harder than ever; it's imperative that the children hold up their end of the bargain which is to  be responsible.

I totally see where my friend was going with this because I knew exactly what she was talking about.  However....if you aren't willing to give your kid a severe consequence, then WHAT IS THEIR MOTIVATION TO BE RESPONSIBLE??????

I think about my dad a lot!  He worked his ASS off for his five children.  My mom worked hard as well.  I focus  more on my dad, because I see so many men out there who feel it is an OPTION to pay for their kids when they separate from the moms.

For my dad it was never an option.  He worked hard to the death.  Thankfully, he stayed with my mom and together they did their best to raise 5 children.  If my dad saw what goes on today, I think he would be mortified.

People are not taking responsibility for their own actions and it's a shame. 

We live in a world of instant gratification.  Only when one doesn't actually "earn" something, there is no true appreciation for it. 

I can guarantee you that when you look back on the things most treasured to you they are probably things you worked hard for!  Because in the end, that is what helps build character.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated today, because I see it happening all around me.  And our society is diminishing in character.

It starts at home keeping people responsible for their actions.  My kids know their minimum requirement is to be a good student.  If they earn that, then they can continue to dance.  If they start slipping, so do their dance classes.  I'm not going to work as hard as I do so they can slack off.

They have other responsibilities.  Some they get to and some they don't.  I can't sweat everything.  But I do know that if they make a choice that goes against who we are, there will be consequences for THEIR actions. 

It's not a house of brutal punishment.  We are merely building the foundations of their character and holding them accountable for choices they make.

Actually, it's how we all should be living.

I could go on....but I think you get the drift.

Happy Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment