Friday, April 13, 2012

Where are you?

Are you where you imagined yourself to be when  you were a kid?

I think at some point in our lives we aspired to something; dreamed for a certain life.  But how many of us actually get there?  How many of us exceed our expectations?

I have a friend who is moving out of state.  He is going where the job is.  How many of us have done that in recent years?

Is it his first choice?  Probably not.  Is it a choice he has to make.....absolutely!  But, in doing that, he has to say good bye to a lot of people.  My heart is sad.

Many times my kids are disappointed  in the choices we adults have to make.  Just this Wednesday, Avery was expecting me to take her to Disneyland.  But with the rain, I decided it wasn't a good idea.  She was long-faced all day and disappointed.  She was ready to get wet without any regard to anything.   And though I do admire that; I wasn't as willing as she.

So many times things don't work out as we hope.  But sometimes things work out better.  I remember many times as a young girl, picturing myself married to so many guys I dated.  But as the relationships progressed, it would have been a bad idea every time!!  I'm glad I waited until later in life to make that choice.

Marriage is a heavy decision that you are, for better or worse, STUCK with; especially if you have kids.  If you are going to get married, you'd better pick someone who's been through some life situations and someone who isn't going to cut bait at the first tragedy in your relationship.

Marriage isn't all about the good times; it's about working through the hard times.  It's about growing a family, communicating and coming together.  It's about having a true life partner and witness to your life.

Marriage is HARD!!!!

I've 'only' been married for 13 years.  And we have gone through a lot!  We have a lot more to go through, that's for sure.  But when we were on vacation recently, I realized that life has beaten my man down a bit.  And when we were on vacation, he came back to life.  It was awesome to see.

Marriage is about appreciating the small stuff, and sometimes overlooking the bigger stuff.

Are we where we set out to be when we got married?  Probably not.  However, I think we are good with where we are.  The economy took the wind out of our sales; beat us both down.  But we stuck together, for better or worse.

And though we'd be living high on the hog if we could; I think there are many times we are just happy to be together as a family.  And we are okay with that!!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment