Thursday, April 19, 2012

prep and cook

So, though I had my schedule planned yesterday, my kids turned it sideways.

Yesterday when we got up I heard, "We have NOTHING for breakfast!!!"   And in fine fashion, I named three or 4 things and nothing was acceptable.

After my pilates class I decided to run to Trader Joes.  I figured I would make some quick grab items for the kids to eat while they are running out the door.

Trader Joes is awesome for the quick grab - toss-it-together kind of meals.  So I grabbed a pizza dough, a pie crust and a crescent roll to fill and bake when I got home.

I had to think about what to fill it with and as breakfast is our big issue, I decided to go for eggs ham and cheese.  But I also grabbed chicken and spinach and other stuff.

When I got home I par-cooked some eggs to use as filling.  I opened the cresent rolls, filled them up with eggs, ham and cheese and baked until golden brown.  Then I pulled out the pie dough.  I have a great circle sandwich cutter from Pampered Chef, so I cut the pie into circles, filled them with the same egg concoction topped with another piece of crust and smushed it toghether with the cool gadget.  (It makes the pie look like Uncrustable sandwiches).  I put those in the oven until golden brown again!

Then I grabbed the pizza dough.  As each of my kids likes different things, I cut the dough into 6 pieces and filled with different items:  Ham and cheese, bbq sauce chicken and cheese, and artichoke spread with chicken and cheese.

I baked until golden brown and let them all cool.

Then I took the remainder of the pie crust, dusted with cinnamon and sugar and baked for a dessert.

When they kids came home, the house smelled yummy. 

I showed them my offerings as if to say, "Don't talk to me about breakfast!".  They were excited to give it a try.  I got a thumbs up.

Apparently that wasn't enough, because I decided to make "Cheerio Treats" (instead of Rice Krispie Treats).  Found out only one kid likes them.  So she's invited to bring some to school to share!

I felt accomplished when all was said and done.  Now I have breakfast and lunches ready to go for the week!!

Yes, it took a little time.  But I'm freed for the rest of the week.  There is no excuse for a meltdown!

I'm not saying their won't be one....but there is no excuse!!!

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment