Wednesday, April 4, 2012

event prep

I have an event to shoot.  I’m nervous about it as always.  I have to make sure my equipment is ready to go.  If I forget to charge one battery, my whole day is shot.  I have to plan for all the day’s events  and make sure I don’t miss a beat.

It would appear that shooting an event is easy.  But if you are to be successful, you will have done your homework.  You will know who the key players are, what the important moments are, when they will happen, who will be there and you will have the right lens at the right time, ready to get the shot.

You will be able to scan the room at all times looking for intimate and important moments that will mean someone to someone later one.  You will be watching expressions, examining relationships, anticipating moments, and you will be ready to capture it at a moment’s notice.


You will be approachable; so if anyone wants to grab a certain shot, they will feel comfortable to walk up to you and ask you to capture the moment.  You will be open to all events as they come up.

You will engage with the attendants and be pleasant and smile, and if you are really good, you will feel like one of the guests and everyone’s friend.

Being a photographer is more than having a camera.  It’s about knowing about life and realizing the important moments, no matter how small.  It’s about reading people and knowing the difference between documenting and stalking.

I have been at events where the photographer was an annoyance.  They were unfriendly, or even rude.  Unapproachable and uncreative.

Sometimes being a photographer means creating the moment.  Many moments happen, but sometimes a few little words can manipulate a situation and make it more rich.

I have spent the last few days engaging, watching and documenting.  I’m really looking forward to this event.  Though it is a small one, it will be one of the most intricate and rich events I have had the opportunity to document.

I feel a part of the group and I feel welcome.  I’m happy to be here yet I can’t forget myself.  Though I am a friend, I am a photographer.  And I don’t want to cross one line and forget the other side at any time.

Being a photographer is a lot of mental work.  It’s a lot of great work.  And it’s something I’m blessed to be able to do.

Barring system failure, I think I’m ready!!!

Wish me luck

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment