Saturday, April 14, 2012

Musician....children

Yesterday I had the opportunity to photograph a little 10 year old piano talent.  A store in Tustin, called Keyboard Concepts opened their doors to us to let us use any pianos we wanted in the shot.

I met the dad there and he explained to me the vision for his son's session.  He spoke of his son's talent and that they wanted to make a CD for him and these pictures are to be the cover. 

Now for someone to make a CD, they must be pretty talented.  So I had no idea what to expect when this 'kid' walked in. 

A few minutes later, this little pint-sized boy comes walking in, very serious. 

The whole family was very polite; the father was very excited for me to be there and was really anxious to get started.

In just a few minutes, the boy was transformed into a black tux. He looked so perfectly adorable.   But what happened next was pretty cool.  He sat down to the piano and started playing.  His skills were nothing short of amazing.

I could instantly tell that as soon as he sat down to the piano, he was totally comfortable.  He played effortlessly and he was a natural.

Piano happens to be one of my favorite instruments; so to listen to him was a joy.

As we took the shots, he became more comfortable; but there is always something awkward with tween boys.  They are growing at weird rates and they don't always look comfortable.  Guiding him into the "mood" of the shots was a little tricky at times.  And getting a natural smile out of ANY tween is always a challenge.  So, I told him to picture his dad in a bikini.  He laughed out loud and said, "How about a Tutu?" Then we both laughed.

As the session progressed we got more creative and fun shots as we moved around the store of options.

I haven't yet looked at the pictures, but I had so much fun trying to think outside the box to get something fun and creative.  I can't wait to post.

Headshots, dancing, seniors, tweens....always fun to shoot.  But musicians are always fun to stretch your creativity.  I do love what I do!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment