Friday, April 27, 2012

Technology and kids.....

So, last night I learned a little bit about technology and how kids are using it to hide information from their parents and to also bully other kids.

I swear, growing up today is more psychological warfare than I imagined.

Throughout time, parents try to wield their power with their children; and the children do their best to spread their wings as they grow, much of the time trying to hide it from their parents.  That fact hasn't changed over the decades.  I did it, my parents did it and I'm sure their parents before them did it when they were kids.  It's human nature.

But what freaks me out, is that now with the access to the Internet (and thereby, the world), kids are susceptible to things we never even thought possible while we were growing up.

When we were growing up, our training involved stranger danger and "don't get into a strangers car". 
Our fears were more local.  But the Internet brings everything right to your fingertips.  You don't even have to leave the house. 

If you want to bully someone,  you can put up a website and abuse away.
If you want to cheat on your test, you can text your neighbor.
If you want to get a phone and you don't have one, you can log on to website and get a number, and BOOM, you have a phone with your itouch or other electronic "non phones".

It's just crazy!!!

Parents nowadays have quite the task of keeping up with their kids.  Technology is changing so fast, that by the time we catch up with something; the technology has already changed and the kids have already moved on.

I was feeling bad that my kid doesn't have picture-ability on her phone, but after our little seminar last night, I'm thinking she won't ever get picture-ability!!!

One thing that the speaker said that struck home was, "Even if you get software that helps monitor your child, it does NOT replace YOUR responsibility of being a parent!"

The more involved the parents, the better the relationship.  The better the relationship, the more secure the kid; the more secure the kid, the less likely they are to get caught up in the craziness of some of these kids.

I kept thinking about the book, "The Price of Privilege" that talked about kids having "everything have nothing".  When they get "stuff" it occupies their time, but it doesn't give them self worth.  When we intervene for our kids and don't let them fail, we take away their growth potential.  And in the end, we have kids who are devoid of any responsibility or desire to challenge themselves.

Kids NEED to fall sometimes!!!  And we NEED to be there to SUPPORT them.....NOT SAVE THEM!!!!

Parenting is tough.  If you are a good parent, you worry about your kids and you will constantly question yourself as to whether or not you made the right choice.  But most importantly, you will do your best to stay attuned to the goings on of societal pressures in kids.

Bullying is huge, we know that.  But the ways kids are bullying now have changed from the ways of how I grew up.  And no doubt, they will continue to change.

Don't underestimate the power if technology in your kids lives.  I was shocked at what I learned.  And saddened at the same time.  But at least I have a clue as to what I'm up against so I can make a plan to talk with my kids and let them know that I know what's going on out there.

A little paranoia goes a long way!!!

Empower yourself with knowledge!!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment