Saturday, April 21, 2012

Storytellers.....

When I was a kid, my parents would tell us stories about their childhood.  The stories repeated over the years and I loved listening to them.  I found out my dads family is crazy.  So when a little "Crazy" comes out in our family, I know where it trickled down..... 

I remember both my parents telling stories of how they used to entertain themselves.  They would take curtain rods and "ski" down the hills.  Mom said she used to hop roof tops with her friend Janine.  And one day, they got caught on someone's roof and had to jump off the roof onto the ground.  The fun in the story was each trying to tell the other, "You go first!" until finally the homeowner yelled and they both hopped off at the same time!!

It's fun to think of my parents as kids.  But the story seems to have a bit more "weight" now that I'm older and I'm telling "kid" stories to my own children.

I was watching "We Bought a Zoo" last night with the kids and the little girl told her dad, "You don't tell stories anymore". 

I realized at that time how important those stories my parents told me were.  Now that my dad is gone, I have more to remember him by than just how I knew him in our lives together.  And it gives me more of a sense of where I came from than just my mere existence.  Because in truth, everything had to align perfectly for me to be here! 

I remember when my dad passed, my uncle wrote a letter about who my dad was "back in the day".  He told the story of how my dad let my uncle borrow his car go somewhere for the weekend.  I remember it was a bug.  My dad owned a bug.  Tickles me to think about it.

But more importantly, it reminded me how giving my dad was.  He was hard on the outside, yet soft on the inside.  He had a soft heart for anyone going through hardship.

I knew this growing up; but my uncle made my dads story "longer". 

I've decided I want to video tape my mom telling stories.  She has a memory like a cast iron vault.  I did NOT inherit that in any way, shape, or form!!!

If you are not a story teller; start now.

Kids love it.  It solidifies who you are.  My kids ask me to repeat stories all the time.  And though it drives me crazy sometimes, I have to remind myself that I still love hearing these stories from my own mother.  And I'm 43~ !  It never gets old, I tell ya!!!

I'm sure I will spend a lot of today, reminiscing.  It's been a while since I have thought about the stories I grew up with.

Don't underestimate the power of a good story!!!  Start sharing, people!  And if you are so inclined.....write it down!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment