Thursday, May 5, 2011

Funny thing, stress....

I had a dream last night that I was trying to get a group of people to get up and leave the building I was in.  I needed them to do it "NOW"  and people were not responding to my urgency.  I started to panic.  But the reason I was asking them to leave, is because they were there early and needed to come back in a few minutes.  

But as people didn't respond, I got more panicked and finally started yelling at all of them to get out! 

I found it interesting that I was getting panicked for everyone to leave, because the building was not burning.  I simply needed them to leave.  I needed them to leave.  I needed that few minutes (in my mind, anyway) and I completely freaked out when they did not  heed my request.

I realized that it was simply that I did not have control of the situation, which caused me to lose it.

In my dream, I was embarrassed that I would have to face these people in a few minutes and pretty much make amends with them when I saw them back.  And I would have to have my tail tucked between my legs (so to speak) while doing it.  I felt like an idiot.

It was just a dream........

Yet, how many times have I completely freaked out when I don't have control of a situation?  Plenty, I assure you. 

What is this "control" thing, anyway?  It's merely a perceived notion that we can dictate all aspects of a situation.  But it's not possible.  Not every time anyway.  Maybe not ever.  But we perceive we can, therefore, we are calm.

I have had people yelling at me and literally found it humorous, because I know where they are coming from.  We go from a sense of calm, to panic, to fear.  But why is control so important?  And what purpose does it serve?

The scenario in my dream was interesting to me, because it's something I try oh so hard to avoid.....regret.

In my dream, I realized I was an idiot and regretted yelling.  But I was panicked that I wouldn't have "me" time for those few minutes and I think its not ironic that this week, my whole schedule is filled, with every minute attending to a task.  There is no me time this week.  NONE.  Not even 5 minutes.

SO it's no wonder that in my dream I ran and screamed like a lunatic, because these people were taking time away from me.  That is a little bit how I feel this week.  I don't think I have a day off until Sunday.

I'm glad I pay attention to my dreams (when I remember them). Sometimes they are insightful.  I feel like I am more aware of how much control I have.  And the truth is, I only have control of right now.  Anything can happen at any moment and change everything in your world.  I have seen it happen many times.

So, if you are holding on to your concept of control; good luck with that.  All I can say, is when you lose it.....you better have faith!!!

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment