Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Put on your mask first!

Yesterday I had my two meetings at work; the topic was "Me First".  It is all about learning to put yourself on the list as many of us forget to do.  I love these topics, because it is my chance to get people to stop and really think what is a good priority!  We are so quick to do things for others, yet we forget ourselves.  Why?

When you board an airplane, and they are going over the instructions, the first thing they tell you is, "If you are traveling with children and the cabin loses pressure; be sure to put YOUR MASK ON FIRST, and then assist your child". 

I remember hearing this and thinking to myself, "Well that is stupid!"  Why in the world wouldn't I help my child first??? 

Thankfully, they tell that to all the stupid people like me, because my instinct is to take care of my child first!  Afterall, she is helpless.  HOWEVER....if you think about it; if the cabin loses pressure, and you put it on your child first, and you pass out, because you didn't get it on you fast enough.....who is going to help her then?

And, such is life.  Most of us carry on putting everyone else's mask first and forgetting our own.    And we continue on this path, because the cabin isn't losing pressure that fast, so we don't really feel the effects.  However, somewhere down the road, there is a cost for this sacrifice.  If we don't find time for ourselves, our cabins will continue to lose pressure and eventually, we will pay the price.

I have heard it said; if you want something done; ask a busy person!  This is true!  And though I appreciate the busy person as much as the next guy, I wonder....how quickly is their cabin losing pressure!

Don't forget to take care of yourself!  If you are waiting for time to carve it's way for you to have some "me time" and it hasn't happened yet.....well....what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment