Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Motivating the masses

It is my job to motivate and support people.  My ability to do this supports someone else's success.  My inability to do this, means they are not successful.  No pressure, right?  Sometimes I literally feel their fate is in my hands.

I follow a topic every week.  Usually it's a slam dunk, but other times it is a little more, well, lets say, challenging.  This week, I'm talking about exercising.

This is a GREAT topic!  This is the one single component, that if added regularly, will guide ones success all the way to the finish line.  No kidding.  Things start to happen when you add this one component into your life.

We all did it as kids and it was a total no brainer!  We just went out the front doors in the morning and ran or rode until we came home at night.   When we had to sit for long periods of time it would drive us nuts.  Yet somehow, over the years of graduating stagnancy, and busy schedules, this one component became obsolete.  What happened????  I'm guessing the same for most of us....life got in the way and we had to grow up!!!  What a bummer.

Now, I am paid to stand in front of people and beg them to give it a try!  Touting the many benefits we will gain (and lose) by doing said component (which we all know, because we have heard it a million times already...).

So, why is it, than when I stand up there and talk about this am I faced with blank stares and usually crickets?

.......Bueller................Bueller.......................Bueller.................

(Because, even though I know it is vital to our lives, it is literally one more thing I have to squeeze or carve into my life and I don't want to!!!)

I get it!  I was that person.  But now on the other side of things, I see the benefits firsthand!  I'm what one might call newly converted.   I now get that the reason I started putting on extra weight in my adult years is because I was slowly losing muscle mass starting at the age of 25.  And that if I didn't get my butt moving, then 10% of it would be gone by the time I am 45, steadily decreasing from there!  YIKES!!!

But still, with my knowledge and my pleading, people still have a hard time with this.  They think it will be too complicated to get moving and do it on a regular basis.  Hopefully this week, I will get a few more takers in the area.  Hopefully, I'll say something that creates a spark.  Maybe I will convince one solitary person that it doesn't have to be complicated.  And they will realize if they just move more than they already are; there will be benefits.

Because I know how hard it is for people to hear this, it makes it a challenging week for me.  But hopefully, I'll get through and maybe someone who is listening will change their habits which will change their lives. 

Just maybe.......

1 comment:

  1. Cat, I needed to read this today. I have been struggling with exercising for all of my adult life! I know in my head that I need to do it not just to look better but to keep healthly, my family has a long history of heart disease on my fathers side and cancer on my mom's. So it's all the more important for me, then why, oh why, do I self sabatage?

    ReplyDelete