Monday, April 25, 2011

Go with your gut

It was a crazy weekend for sure.  Friends dad in the hospital, Mystery 24 hour illness, and Easter.  It's no wonder I feel like I didn't have a weekend to myself.

So, this morning, when I went to wake my kids; and one of them cried that she didn't want to get up, that she was tired, I quietly backed out of the room and started making alternate plans. 

I think everyone should have a hookie day.  And when your child whines at you....and you don't even think to fight back....I say that is the day you choose.

We are in a world where everyone is overscheduled and running around like crazy rats in a maze.  Sometimes I feel like I can't even catch my breath.  Days where we have nothing going on are few and far between.  And though, we feel it is for the greater good of our children, to help them grow....sometimes it works in reverse, for everyone!

Parents get burned out, kids stop appreciating their sport, tempers get short and start flaring, and pretty soon, you can't stand the sight of each other, because you are too busy to appreciate each other.

It happens to all of us.  Burn out.  And as far as I can tell, nobody operates well in the face of burn out.

So, today we will blow off a little bit of steam. 

I'm already the most favored in the house this morning, as I have dangled Disneyland over their heads IF....they do a quick pick up of their room.  (see where I'm going with this).

The girls are in a good mood and skipping about their room, so they can get to the Happiest Place on Earth as soon as possible. 

It's already working.

So, if you have a day that you just can't bear to face, and you have the luxury of just one day.....I say go with your gut.  We all deserve to take a day to nurture our souls and bring us back to level playing grounds!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment