Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Happy morning

Mornings are the most beautiful and precious time of day. For as long as I could remember, I appreciate them the most. However, I enjoy them most when I am sleeping through them.

But you can't deny the innocence of the morning. It's like tha slate has been wiped clean from the day before, and freshness of the morning air signals a new beginning.

The light is best in the morning too. As the sun rises in the east, you ge t a different perspective of sunrise vs. Sunset. If you are up early enough to witness it, the colors are different, richer somehow, though not in color. And the air is fresh and crisp, which I love.

I learned to appreciate the mornings when I was a kid. When I was 11 years old I had a paper route and had to deliver papers every morning. I started with the Herald Examiner. I had 7 customers around villa partk. I had to deliver 7 days a week. People were waiting for their papers. Why my parents ever let me take on this job is beyond me; but back in the late 70's, people were different.

My dad probably though it was good character to have a job, and he was probably proud of me. I don't remember. I just remember wanting to earn money. Back then, I used to have to go door to door to collect it.

In junior high, I moved up to the Register with a whopping 55 customers. I was there every day delivering papers. It was a good lesson in responsibility. If someone didn't get their paper, I would get a call and have to go out and re-deliver.

As a kid in the late 70's and early 80's, that was a lot of responsibility. You hardly see kids nowadays at that age, with those kind of responsibilities. We hardly let kids out of the house to play. We are in a different/paranoid society. It is a whole different world, and for that I am sad.

My kids will never get to experience the freedoms we had. I walked myself to school from kindergarten all the way to graduation. (okay, I drove in high school, but still.)

It was nice to leave the house and not come home until the street lights came on. ( well, we didn't have street lights in Villa Park, but we knew when to come home.)

It is a different world indeed.

So, what does this have to do with anything? I don't quite know. It is pretty early for me, and I am not a morning person, but I do love mornings.

I am up early because I have to sub for a leader (and meet a whole bunch of people who I'll not be happy that I am there, so I anticipate a long day of song and dance.) I would much rather be in bed, sleeping, enjoying my day in my dreams. But, I have responsibilities, and I have to go get ready.

The mornings always give me a moment to pause before my day, and be thankful for what I have. For that I am definitely a morning person. No one else is awake, and my quiet time let's me collect myself before I step out and get pummeled by the day.

So, though I am not a morning person, I am no fool either. I take advantage whe I can.

I hope your day is a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment