Saturday, April 23, 2011

An Authority You Don't Want to Be!!!

I try to teach my kids to have a good friend you have to be a good friend.

I find in recent years, I look back a lot, at my life, friendships and events that were significant.  One of which was the passing of my father.  He had pancreatic cancer, which, by the time you are diagnosed; you'd best be settling your affairs.  Only at that time, I was in denial, and very hopeful that this strong man would pull out of it.  Alas, he did not. 

It was December 13 when he was finally diagnosed, and February 2nd when he passed.  It was a long few months; the most emotional of my life.  I was pregnant with my first child.  Hopeful that my dad would get to meet her before he passed, but again, my hopes were dashed.

I feel lucky that I was 31.  I had him for 31 years.  I got to become an adult, and he got to witness who I was.  I am very much my father, and very proud of it.

In that time of need, I was surrounded by much comfort.  I realize, mostly in hindsight, that it was those around me who carried me forward. 

If you think you can get through this life on your own, well, good luck to you.  I, personally choose to lean and be leaned upon by those around me.  It's a much funner ride when you have someone to share it with.

Yesterday, I was notified that a very dear and old friend of mine's father was in the ICU at a local hospital.  This is someone I have known since I was 14 years old.  We've been to each others weddings, she was at the birth (in the room) with my first child; she is an aunty to my children and she is not by blood, but by choice, my sister. 

I was thankful to get the notification from her family (before she could get ahold of me) regarding her father.  I feel part of the family, and this man is very dear to my heart.  I can be me, 100% in his presence, and when I am around him, I can expect to laugh.

I was at the hospital as soon as I could be.  To support the family, to see him, to touch him, to pray for him. 
I feel graced in his presence.  To be a part of his life.

As we sat in the waiting room.....well....waiting; I enjoyed watching those around me come together for the sake of one.  This...is a testament of one's life.  This is richness.  This is the culmination of many years of friendship, family...of love.

I have said it before, I am a witness and a student of life.  This is the best and worst of times. 

My friend felt comfort knowing I had gone through this before and could relate on a level that not many could.  Not that I am an authority, but until you have gone through it; you really don't know.  The only thing I am an authority on, is how I felt, while going through it.  And for some, that is enough of a comfort. 

And without hesitation, I will be there for my friend.  He is a dad to me too. 

One thing I am thankful for in my past experience, when I saw him in his hospital bed, I did not hesitate to touch and talk to him, even though he couldn't respond.  Because I know he can hear me.  Had I not experienced this before, I might be more timid.  At times like this, timid doesn't help anyone.

I heard news this morning that there are some positive signs.  He is responding to voices.  He is squeezing hands.  This is great news.  But, as I have been down this road before, I will hold back from doing the happy dance until more positive news comes forward.

In the meantime, I will bring my baked goods (as if there was any doubt) and deliver them with my prayers and my hugs, to the family, my family, who waits for good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment