Thursday, April 7, 2011

Deaf advice

Every give so much advice so often, that when you need some yourself, you completely ignore all that you say?
I am a windbag of advice.  I have been in my head for so long that I have learned a million and one things about how to deal with stuff.  But as they say, I'm the cobbler without shoes.

Sometimes it takes a while to sift through the muck in your mind, and for most people, its too hard and they don't know where to begin, so they don't bother.  They simply "cope" instead.  We all have our coping mechanisms; food, alcohol, distractions, diversions, whatever you want to call it.  When things get hard and we don't want to face "it" we find away around it, and sometimes ignore it all together as though it doesn't exist.  But more often than not we are delaying the inevitable.

Take me, for instance!  I'm stuck.  I wouldn't say I'm avoiding, because I simply can't avoid my situation, but I can't seem to get past it either.  I have been sitting in it for a few months now and passively dealing with it.  It started with stomach issues and progressed from there. The bottom line is I have to start eating differently to cure myself effectively.  But I'm stuck. 

I think I have come to the conclusion, mentally, that I am not ready to admit that this is a lifelong problem, when it is!  What I eat affects my life.  If I change what I eat, I will improve.  It is that simple. 

I realized this morning that I have to start over.  I have all the ingredients to what needs to be done.  I just had to put myself in the shoes of a "friend that needs help" in order to see the situation more clearly.  I would do anythiing for my friends, so it's easy to put myself on the other side of things.

And now, it will simply be taking "my" advice and putting it into action.  I have all the ingredients, I just need to put them together in a way that the 'recipe' works.  And that will take some time.

It's really sad that we can sift through someone elses stuff with ease, but our own seems impossible.  But the truth it, it's not really impossible.  It is just unpleasant.  And who wants to 'deal' with unpleasant!?!?! 

I once heard that if we removed our emotions we would become more like computers.  We would remember everything, and be able to reiterate it without issue.  It is our emotions that get in our way.  I for one, am a very emotional person, so it's no wonder I have a hard time remembering details.  But I never forget how I felt!

No comments:

Post a Comment