Monday, August 20, 2012

Vacation Hangover

We are home.  Safe and sound!

I would say our drive home was a nightmare; because we hit a few hours of traffic, but it wasn't so bad. 

Being in the car with kids for any length of time is a recipe for disaster.  They get bored, they complain; they get snippy with each other.  I could say all this.   But the truth is - the girls were amazing!  And it isn't because they had their heads buried in their electrical gadgets.  Not a lot anyways. 
I can honestly say that the girls are good at being 'bored'. 

We are regulars when it comes to car trips.  I'm always asking them; should we take the freeway, or streets?  And they always answer with "STREETS!" 

There is always an adventure down a side street and we love looking for new things.  If I see horses or something interesting, I shout it out like a tour guide.  They don't get the view that I do, and I want them to take in as much as possible. 

Yesterday during our few hour layover (or heavy traffic as it were) I was getting frustrated so we found a way to follow the freeway on side roads.  It was such a nice drive.  We were going between farms and nurseries.  This is country you don't see from the freeway!!!

I love little windy roads.  So much fun.

Towards the end of the night, I was the one getting a little punchy.  The traffic was a bit ridiculous and you are thinking in your head the only thing that can justify this is a multi car pile up or a fatality....  but neither was the case.  Not that I'm looking for fatalities mind you...but the traffic was just THAT bad!

And everyone was pretty well wedged in the car, because we were packed to the brim with our stuff.  It was crazy.  So many hours in a very tight space.

So when we finally pulled in home, we all but exploded out of the car!!!  My mom waddled in slowly as her legs had fallen asleep on her.  The girls were both passed out when we pulled up at 10:30pm.  And Julie unpacked the stuff from my car in no time flat!  She still had to ride herself back home.

When you get home from a trip it's like pulling the air out of a balloon.  You just deflate back into your old life.  We were excited to see Chris when we got home.  He had made us dinner just in case we were home in time, but that will have to wait for tonites dinner! 

It's back to life as usual here.  The girls are getting ready for dance and I have to leave in a few minutes to drop one off and figure out what to do with the other.

I gained a few pounds on my trip and I have to be diligent to reverse the damage.

I have a lot of work to catch up on and I'm pretty low on energy.  I definitely think I need a mini vacation to recover from my vacation.  But alas....it is not to be!

I hope you had fun on our trip!!  I would post a few pics from the last day, but I simply don't have time!!!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment